Report Preview

• Having trouble with the preveiw. I have a report that contains 4 districts. When I click the preview, I see all 4 districts. However, whenever I try to save as Adobe or print preview the report and subsequently print the report, it does not print or export the whole report.  Also there is a blank page inbetween every page on the print preview/ or export, but not so if I just do preview.  I only getting district 1 or at the most district 2 when I do the print preview/export. 

My report server is very slow. For instance, it takes 2 or 3 minutes(no exaggeration) just to insert a row in the report. Is there a patch or something I need to apply???  Surely this cannot be the best it can do. I'm thinking, heaven forbid, about giving up and going back to Crystal.  

My machine is a Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz machine with 1 gig of ram. Running Server 2000 and Sql 2000.

Anyone have any comments, ideas??

• Have you tried taking the query out of your report and simply execute the query on Query Analyzer? Minutes seems unreasonable for reporting. I certainly don't see that here. While I wouldn't say performance is great, it is certainly acceptable, returning most of our reports within a few seconds.

Is your SQL Server computer really busy? Since the report runs on the server, there needs to be adeuate processor and ram resources available to run the report. Before I installed reporting services, I was finding that any queries I ran from the server itself were very slow. I finally restricted SQL Server so it didn't quite eat up all my RAM and the performance improved. You might look at doing that too.

If that doesn't solve the performance issue, then you might need to look at your selection and sort criteria and see if it doesn't make sense to add some indexes on those fields.

As for the "preview", it is just that-- a preview. They try to show you how the formatting might look. It certainly isn't exactly. I found that columns, for example, aren't show until I export the report. Your export is closest to your true report, so if it's not showing there, then your layout or data select isn't right.

• The performance is NOT slow. It is in the design/layout mode when laying out the report that it is slow(insert more detail lines or whatever).  I can mess around with the report changing properties like hiding a group header and all of sudden I will get the whole report in the Print Preview. However, I still get a blank page inbetween each page on print preview but not just preview. Also the preview does show everything. It is the PRINT PREVIEW or EXPORT TO PDF that only shows partial results. So in other words, PREVIEW SHOWS THE WHOLE REPORT. Print PREVIEW/EXPORT TO PDF is inconsistant, depending on what I do and there is no rhyme or reason to what I do. It may simply be close everything and come back to it later.  

Again the query itself it running just fine.

I'm running on a development box that is both the client and the server.

• the preview screen shows the report in HTML which is not page size aware and shows the full width and height as if you has infinite page size.  When you export it to PDF, the page width and margins get enforced. 

Try changing the margins or change the report to landscape (reverse the width and length measurements).

Dave C>

• The report is set to 14 x 8.5. I have played with the margins, but maybe not enough. I'll try that and post if it works. Visually it looks as if there is an inch margin on the right and .25 on the left, but I'll try it again.  That still does not explain why sometimes I only get half the report and other times I get the whole thing, but I guess that is just a bug.

• This is one area where RS is like an Access Report.  If you have one thing over hte page margins then you get essentially a blank page.  I would make sure I did not have anything over the page size defined.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply