Replication error: "field size too large"

• Hi,

I've got two databases on the same server and replicate some tables from one database to another.

The replication is configured so not to drop the table if it exists, but to delete the data based on the filter if one exists. There are two tables on the subscriber that have some extra columns.

I get "field size too large" error when trying to replicate them.

Is there a workaround without having to make the publisher and the subscriber tables identical by schema?

Thanks.

• Roust_m (2/1/2011)

I've got two databases on the same server and replicate some tables from one database to another.

The replication is configured so not to drop the table if it exists, but to delete the data based on the filter if one exists. There are two tables on the subscriber that have some extra columns.

I get "field size too large" error when trying to replicate them.

Is there a workaround without having to make the publisher and the subscriber tables identical by schema?

Check column datatypes and sizes - size of a column in a suscriber table may be too short.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • No, all the columns are identical, the only difference is that the subscriber has few extra columns.

• hi gents,

has this been sorted?

I have got the same error.

thanks and regards

marcelo

merge replication

sql server 2005 64 bits

Message: The process could not bulk copy into table '"dbo"."MSmerge_contents"'.

2012-10-10 14:28:51.872 Percent Complete: 0

2012-10-10 14:28:51.872 Category:NULL

Source: Microsoft SQL Native Client

Number: 0

2012-10-10 14:28:51.919 Percent Complete: 0

• I'm no expert on this subject but I'm wondering if SQL Server has simply delivered an inappropriate error message.

Regarding the 2 extra columns you mentioned on the subscriber side: Are they constrained as "NOT NULL" columns?

I am only guessing that this might be a source of the problem.

• I had this problem generating the same error message:

-Publication with table1 and table2.

-table1 schema did not match on the subscriber.

-table2 was removed from and added back to the publication.

-when table2 was reinitialized, I received the "field size too large" error even though table1 was not being reinitialized.

Reinitializing the whole publication solved the problem for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply