replace ment for query analyzer

• Hi Folks,

Does anyone know of a simple, light footprint query tool that could replace query analyzer functionality. We've tried SSMS, as MS suggests, but the footprint in our Citrix environment seems to cause us grief. This would be a tool for research folks who play what-if games with out larger databases. They've used QA in the past to extract interesting data, but we're moving off of SQL Server 2000 and need to upgrade the tools. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• LinqPad is free and a very light footprint with no dependencies other than requiring .net, but has all the things you need; an object explorer, and multiple query windows for a multi tab query environment:

i carry this application on my USB drive; it's perfect for walking into an environment where no SSMS tools are installed, so you can do some queries and not need anything installed.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell, that's one I've never heard of. We'll be bringing in the suggested replacements for testing. So far we have SQL Visualizer and SQL Workbench as suggestions, but those both seem to be more feature-rich than the simple tool I had envisioned finding. This looks very promising.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• Alternatively, you would also be able to use DbaMgr2k (for MSSQL 2000, although I have successfully connected to MSSQL2005 before) http://www.asql.biz/en/Download.aspx#DbaMgr2K. A tool I have used numerous times in the past. It too is freeware and pretty powerful freeware at that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply