Removing cursor from TSQL - 2

• Here another one, can you please help me optimize this one as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

USE [MRG_M002]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[ps_SVM_COPIE_BESOINS] Script Date: 02/27/2009 09:31:16 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS OFF

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[ps_SVM_COPIE_BESOINS]

@anneeSource INT,

@anneeDest INT,

@cs INT,

@codPeint INT,

@tousRTSS BIT

AS

DECLARE @curseur CURSOR,

@res_cs varchar(4),

@rtss varchar(14),

@longrRTSS INT,

@chDebut INT,

@chFin INT,

@longrSect INT,

@classe INT,

@peintRG INT,

@peintCL INT,

@peintRD INT,

@type INT,

@geo BINARY,

@geoXLO FLOAT,

@geoYLO FLOAT,

@geoXHI FLOAT,

@geoYHI FLOAT,

@id_route_debut NUMERIC(18,0),

@ch_route_debut FLOAT,

@dc_route_debut FLOAT,

@id_route_fin NUMERIC(18,0),

@ch_route_fin FLOAT,

@dc_route_fin FLOAT,

@numChamps int

--Verif si CS ou DT?

if @tousRTSS = 1

BEGIN

--On va prendre tous les RTSS

SET @curseur = CURSOR FAST_FORWARD

FOR

SELECT COD_CENTR_SERVC, RTSS, VAL_LONGR_SOUS_ROUTE, 0 as VAL_CHANG_DEBUT, VAL_LONGR_SOUS_ROUTE as VAL_CHANG_FIN,

VAL_LONGR_SOUS_ROUTE AS VAL_LONG_SECT, CLS_FONCT,@codPeint as IDE_PEINT_RG, @codPeint as IDE_PEINT_CL, @codPeint as IDE_PEINT_RD,

'' as TYPE_DEMANDE, NULL as GEO_PLANF, 0 as GEO_PLANF_XLO, 0 as GEO_PLANF_YLO, 0 as GEO_PLANF_XHI,0 as GEO_PLANF_YHI,

0 as IDE_SEGMN_ROUTE_DEBUT, 0 as CH_SEGMN_ROUTE_DEBUT, 0 as DECAL_SEGMN_ROUTE_DEBUT,

0 as IDE_SEGMN_ROUTE_FIN, 0 as CH_SEGMN_ROUTE_FIN, 0 as DECAL_SEGMN_ROUTE_FIN

FROM X_BGR_V_GOFT_RTSS

WHERE COD_CENTR_SERVC like @cs

END

else

BEGIN

SET @curseur = CURSOR FAST_FORWARD

FOR

SELECT COD_CENTR_SERVC, NOM_RTSS, VAL_LONG_RTSS, VAL_CHANG_DEBUT, VAL_CHANG_FIN, VAL_LONG_SECT, CLS_FONCT,

IDE_PEINT_RG, IDE_PEINT_CL, IDE_PEINT_RD, TYPE_DEMANDE, GEO_PLANF, GEO_PLANF_XLO, GEO_PLANF_YLO, GEO_PLANF_XHI, GEO_PLANF_YHI,

IDE_SEGMN_ROUTE_DEBUT, CH_SEGMN_ROUTE_DEBUT, DECAL_SEGMN_ROUTE_DEBUT, IDE_SEGMN_ROUTE_FIN, CH_SEGMN_ROUTE_FIN, DECAL_SEGMN_ROUTE_FIN

FROM SVM_SEGMN_PLANIF

WHERE YEAR(DAT_DEMANDE) = @anneeSource

AND COD_CENTR_SERVC like @cs

AND (IDE_PEINT_RG = @codPeint or IDE_PEINT_CL = @codPeint or IDE_PEINT_RD = @codPeint)

END

OPEN @curseur

FETCH NEXT FROM @curseur

INTO

@res_cs,

@rtss,

@longrRTSS,

@chDebut,

@chFin,

@longrSect,

@classe,

@peintRG,

@peintCL,

@peintRD,

@type,

@geo,

@geoXLO,

@geoYLO,

@geoXHI,

@geoYHI,

@id_route_debut,

@ch_route_debut,

@dc_route_debut,

@id_route_fin,

@ch_route_fin,

@dc_route_fin

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS=0

BEGIN

FETCH NEXT FROM @curseur

INTO

@res_cs,

@rtss,

@longrRTSS,

@chDebut,

@chFin,

@longrSect,

@classe,

@peintRG,

@peintCL,

@peintRD,

@type,

@geo,

@geoXLO,

@geoYLO,

@geoXHI,

@geoYHI,

@id_route_debut,

@ch_route_debut,

@dc_route_debut,

@id_route_fin,

@ch_route_fin,

@dc_route_fin

SELECT @numChamps = COUNT(IDE_SEGMN_PLANIF) FROM SVM_SEGMN_PLANIF

WHERE YEAR(DAT_DEMANDE) = @anneeDest

AND COD_CENTR_SERVC like @cs

AND NOM_RTSS = @rtss

AND VAL_CHANG_DEBUT = @chDebut

AND VAL_CHANG_FIN = @chFin

if (@numChamps < 1)

begin

INSERT INTO SVM_SEGMN_PLANIF (COD_CENTR_SERVC, NOM_RTSS, VAL_LONG_RTSS, VAL_CHANG_DEBUT, VAL_CHANG_FIN, VAL_LONG_SECT, CLS_FONCT,

IDE_PEINT_RG, IDE_PEINT_CL, IDE_PEINT_RD, TYPE_DEMANDE,

IDE_SEGMN_ROUTE_DEBUT, CH_SEGMN_ROUTE_DEBUT, DECAL_SEGMN_ROUTE_DEBUT,

IDE_SEGMN_ROUTE_FIN, CH_SEGMN_ROUTE_FIN, DECAL_SEGMN_ROUTE_FIN, DATE_CREATION, DAT_DEMANDE)

VALUES ( @res_cs,

@rtss,

@longrRTSS,

@chDebut,

@chFin,

@longrSect,

@classe,

@peintRG,

@peintCL,

@peintRD,

@type,

@id_route_debut,

@ch_route_debut,

@dc_route_debut,

@id_route_fin,

@ch_route_fin,

@dc_route_fin,

GETDATE(),

GETDATE() )

end

END

CLOSE @curseur

DEALLOCATE @curseur

RETURN 0

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

• If you were to go through the code and document it, I'll just be you could figure it out yourself. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Jeff my problem is fixed now

• Stanley Pagenel (2/28/2009)

Thanks Jeff my problem is fixed now

Yeah, I saw how you think you fixed it on the other thread of yours... lemme tell you the same thing I said there...

Nope... if all you've done is replace a Cursor with a Temp table and While loop, all you've done is replace one procedural problem with another. If you make the Cursors FORWARD ONLY, READ ONLY, they'll be just as "fast" (just as slow, I should say).

The only way to fix the slowness of a Cursor (which contains a While loop, by the way), it to figure out what the code does and write some good ol' SET BASED code to replace it. Unless you do that, your code will still be plagued with resource and performance problems.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• oohhh, this is pork chop territory. Me gonna duck and keep my faceguard on ROTFL

hey Jeff fancy seeing you in this thread 😉 LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (3/1/2009)

hey Jeff fancy seeing you in this thread 😉 LOL

Heh... I've not been as active on this forum in the last 2 weeks as I normally am... ya just had to know that I was gonna see the word "Cursor" in the title, though.

I'm just absolutely astounded that people still believe in the myth of replacing cursors with Temp Tables and While loops... it's almost like decaf coffee... why bother? 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• So, Jeff, what's this "RBAR" I've heard so much about? 😉

• Look in his signature block. He defines RBAR there.

• Lynn, I probably should have used something more than a winking emoticon to show that I am certainly aware of the term but was just trying to show Jeff some empathy, even if in a mildly sarcastic way, for having to point out the RBAR-ness of the proposed solutions multiple times.

More to the point of this thread, sometimes it is hard to understand the concept of set-based vs. row-by-row processing. For those who've recently started using SQL after sometimes years of doing procedural programming, it can be a bit of a mind-twister. I've gone through that process myself and now have had the joy (no sarcasm here) of helping teammates see the difference.

Whether we're looking at a cursor or a WHILE loop in T-SQL, or a for-each loop in SSIS, we have to consider if there's a way to provide a set-based solution as that almost always will be more efficient.

• john.arnott (3/2/2009)

Lynn, I probably should have used something more than a winking emoticon to show that I am certainly aware of the term but was just trying to show Jeff some empathy, even if in a mildly sarcastic way, for having to point out the RBAR-ness of the proposed solutions multiple times.

More to the point of this thread, sometimes it is hard to understand the concept of set-based vs. row-by-row processing. For those who've recently started using SQL after sometimes years of doing procedural programming, it can be a bit of a mind-twister. I've gone through that process myself and now have had the joy (no sarcasm here) of helping teammates see the difference.

Whether we're looking at a cursor or a WHILE loop in T-SQL, or a for-each loop in SSIS, we have to consider if there's a way to provide a set-based solution as that almost always will be more efficient.

BWAA-HAA!!! I caught the irony of your question, John... thanks for the laugh... I needed a good one today. 😛

Shifting gears to the more serious note and not directed to anyone in particular, I frequently descibe the first step to people towards making the paradigm shift from procedural (RBAR) T-SQL to Set Based as...

"Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

I certainly agree that there's more to it than that, especially with tools like the use of a Tally table, the "quirky" update (as Phil Factor calls it), and pseudo-cursors, but without the fundamental understanding that Set Based is really "column based" instead of "row based", there's no sense in teaching such tools until that understanding is achieved.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply