Remote Connections

• This has probably been answered before, but...

I have a local SQL Server 2005 instance running, and I would like to have another user on my network connect to this instance. However, when he tries to connect, he always receives the same error message:

"An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error 28: - Server doesnt' support requested protocol)"

So, I checked the properties for the server, and under the connections tab the allow remote connection box is checked.

Any clue where to look next?

• You have enabled RDC connections. I would think you want to enable connections to SQL over TCP/IP.

Open SQL Server Configuration Manager > Network Configuration > Protocols > Right click tcp/ip > enable

For more information, post up the connection details you user is using.

• That did it!

Thanks for your help Joseph!

• You can check out the following blog for details on configuring remote connects: https://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2005/05/05/415084.aspx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply