Regional Replication

• I am currently looking into scaling out an existing mission critical application. We'd like to regionalize it, so have a SQL server in various parts of the country. Transactional replication is currently the way I'm thinking of doing it. However, I'm curious is there is a way to do this where only data destined to that part of the country is replicated to that server, and then of course have a central server "publisher" have all of the data.

I've read that merge replication can handle this, but not sure if that's the right way to go for a mission critical application which is constantly connected to the network.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Hello, I am not an expert but do support several instances of SQL Server on various security and baggage handling systems. If your data contains information about what region it is destined for, you could create a publication for each region and use the 'filter rows' feature to only send data for that region to each location. Hope this helps.

• Thanks for the response. I thought of that, however, it needs to be bi-directional, so all updated, inserted, and deleted data at the regional servers needs to be reconciled at the central server.

• "Merge" and "peer-to-peer" are your two options.

* Noel

• Is there a concern regarding network latency in merge replication?

• Nope, no concern, however, in the event our network went down, we wanted to ensure that all sites were still up (this is for a hotel company). With transactional replication though, fault tolerance is included, so I can switch the client to any other server in the event of a server problem.

steve smith (8/19/2008)

Is there a concern regarding network latency in merge replication?

• That switching over should work for both merge and transactional replications. So, I'm curious as to your rationale for choosing one over the other.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply