Recovery Model Changes

• I have a couple fairly large (5.25 GB +-) databases that are currently set up with a simple recovery model. 

I would like to change to a full recovery model so we can do transaction log backups throughout the day rather than just a nightly backup. 

Can anyone think of a problem with just changing from simple to full?  I always just create databases with a full recovery model when I know they are going to get big.  I've never tried changing recovery models once the database is created.

Thanks muchly,

Jason

The Redneck DBA

• Not sure what your concern is but it's not a problem to change it, go for it.

Mark

• Changing it is no problem. Just remember to schedule transaction log backups. (And 5.25 GB isn't a large database in SQL Server - my main database is currently over 200 GB).

At one point my main database was around 300GB and I had to change it from FULL to SIMPLE and back to FULL again in one day. I didn't have any problems. The thing I had to remember (since I went from full to simple and back) was that going to SIMPLE broke my log backup chain, so once I went back to full mode I had to do a full backup.

-SQLBill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply