rebuild inexes

• hi ,

i am having some doubts regarding rebuild and reorgainze indexes.

after run the rebuild and reorganize,

i run this smt . for avg_page_space_used_in_percent value is null for all indexes and for some tables when i run alter rebuild statements the output is not varying same as previous ones.

SELECT distinct a.index_id, name, avg_fragmentation_in_percent,avg_fragment_size_in_pages,avg_page_space_used_in_percent

FROM sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats (DB_ID(), OBJECT_ID(N'etrans'),

NULL, NULL, NULL) AS a

JOIN sys.indexes AS b ON a.object_id = b.object_id AND a.index_id = b.index_id;

is it compulsory to run update statitics after running rebuild and reorganize?

pls help someone .

thanks ,

kumar p

• Hey,

For index rebuilds, the stats are updated as part of index rebuild process, but not for indexdefrag (e.g reorg.). If you opt for a reorg vs a rebuild, you will need to update the stats as the next step following reorg only.

You should run the following on a regular basis to understand amount of fragmentation:

sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats

Thanks,

Phillip Cox

• if you examine your table/indexes you'll be able to see if the stats are up to date.

I'll always run sp_updatestats on a database every day if I have the window ( this only updates stats which need updating )

other options I use is to step through my indexes rebuilding or updating stats. Depending on you index rebuild command stats are usually updated.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply