Really need help with query taking longer after backup!

• Lynn Pettis (3/12/2014)

william.rees.howells (3/12/2014)

That is correct. I run it every time I run the query. The query speeds only go back to normal once I drop and recreate the database, table and days.

That means you are clearing the buffer cache before running the query. This means the data has to be read from disk every time the query is run.

It appears to be intentional because he is doing testing and more or less a POC from the appearances of what has been said in the thread.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (3/12/2014)

Lynn Pettis (3/12/2014)

That is correct. I run it every time I run the query. The query speeds only go back to normal once I drop and recreate the database, table and days.

That means you are clearing the buffer cache before running the query. This means the data has to be read from disk every time the query is run.

It appears to be intentional because he is doing testing and more or less a POC from the appearances of what has been said in the thread.

That means the data never gets cached and query won't get the benefits from caching.

• Lynn Pettis (3/12/2014)

SQLRNNR (3/12/2014)

Lynn Pettis (3/12/2014)

That means the data never gets cached and query won't get the benefits from caching.

And that is ok as long as the process is the same every time. It's a baseline with a cold cache.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (3/12/2014)

Lynn Pettis (3/12/2014)

SQLRNNR (3/12/2014)

Lynn Pettis (3/12/2014)

And that is ok as long as the process is the same every time. It's a baseline with a cold cache.

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't explain what's happening. Especially since the same thing is happening locally. This is decidedly odd behavior assuming we have the full set of fact.s

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• It could be that you're clearing the cache but not the execution plan. Try adding a CHECKPOINT and DBCC FREEPROCCACHE before the DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS and see what you get.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Yes that is right. This is for performance testing. Originally I was trying to run this query on a database with just one file, and run the exact same query on a replica database with 8 files over 8 disks to see the speed difference. However, this nice little surprise has come up along the way and it has got me scratching my head!

• Hi again,

I have found out what the problem was. Basically it boils down to me now using CHECKPOINT. I think that the following is what was happening:

1) INSERT DATA

2) PAGES NOW DIRTY

3) RUN DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS. This did not clear the cache because pages were dirty

4) Run Query over and over again with DROPCLEANBUFFERS. This is nice and quick because pages still in cache and DROPCLEANBUFFERS not actually clearing the cache at this point because pages still dirty.

5) BACKUP DB causing a checkpoint to happen.

6) All pages written to disk and are now clean.

7) RUN DROPCLEANBUFFERS. Now the cache is actually getting cleared because the pages are now CLEAN.

8) Run query with DROPCLEANBUFFERS. Data now being read from disk every time and not from cache.

Tell me if you think my theory is off?

• Hi thanks for the response.

I added ran CHECKPOINT as well before the first query before the backup and both queries before and after the backup now take the same length of time. I guess that I was pretty stupid to not realize that dropCLEANbuffers would only clear clean pages and not dirty ones!

Please read my response to user SQLRNNR to get a rundown of what I think was happening.

Again, thanks.

• william.rees.howells (3/13/2014)

Hi again,

I have found out what the problem was. Basically it boils down to me now using CHECKPOINT. I think that the following is what was happening:

1) INSERT DATA

2) PAGES NOW DIRTY

3) RUN DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS. This did not clear the cache because pages were dirty

4) Run Query over and over again with DROPCLEANBUFFERS. This is nice and quick because pages still in cache and DROPCLEANBUFFERS not actually clearing the cache at this point because pages still dirty.

7) RUN DROPCLEANBUFFERS. Now the cache is actually getting cleared because the pages are now CLEAN.

8) Run query with DROPCLEANBUFFERS. Data now being read from disk every time and not from cache.

Yup - the checkpoint difference would be critical.

Good to hear that it is performing equally now.

Learn Extended Events

• william.rees.howells (3/13/2014)

Hi again,

1) INSERT DATA

2) PAGES NOW DIRTY

You should be able to verify this if you run the query wrapped with SET STATISTICS IO ON/SET STATISTICS IO OFF. If the pages are being retrieved from the buffer cache, you should see 0 physical reads and some n>0 logical reads in the statistics. If indeed you have successfully flushed dirty pages in the buffer cache to disk and freed all the buffers, you should see some n>0 physical reads and some n>0 logical reads.

Jason Wolfkill

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply