Reading the .LDF File in Sql server 2005

• dakshinamurthy-655138 (3/3/2010)

Sorry,

for not replying to the thread, as i was not feeling well i was off from the office.

The reason why i need this is, one of my client need to know the actions happend on the data and need to audit that or cross check the things what has happend and when. Thats the reason why we wanted to know.

The tool ApexSQL which is mentioned in the thread, i tried with the 14 days trial version on my local database and it has really helped me out. Thanks a lot i will be using the same on my Live database.

Regards

Dakshina Murthy

Sweet! Glad to hear ApexSQL helped out! Score another point for the Guru. 😀

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Sorry,

for not replying to the thread, as i was not feeling well i was off from the office.

The reason why i need this is, one of my client need to know the actions happend on the data and need to audit that or cross check the things what has happend and when. Thats the reason why we wanted to know.

The tool ApexSQL which is mentioned in the thread, i tried with the 14 days trial version on my local database and it has really helped me out. Thanks a lot i will be using the same on my Live database.

Regards

Dakshina Murthy

Thank you very much for the reply. I always like to find out why folks need to do such things and you've helped. Thanks.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• TheSQLGuru (3/3/2010)

Looks like this might be a dead thread now Jeff...

Aren't you glad it wasn't? I had a good feeling about this one...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

i tried with the 14 days trial version on my local database and it has really helped me out. Thanks a lot i will be using the same on my Live database.

I used a trial version of one of these tools, although I don't remember if it was Apex or one of its competitors. It did a wonderful job of letting you browse or search the transaction log, but it didn't completely solve my problem. I had a very specific one-time-only requirement, and found out that the trial version skips a lot of records including some of the ones I was looking for. This is understandable from a sales perspective, because most reasons for wanting to read the log should be one-time occurrences. (If not, you really need to learn how to write audit triggers.)

When you say you are going to install the trial version on your production server, I hope you intend to buy the real version soon. Otherwise, check all the fine print before you claim to have solved your problem.

• i tried Apex tool. Does show me the updates and inserts which happened but doest shows me the actuall SQL which did the updates or inserts?

• iqtedar (8/16/2010)

i tried Apex tool. Does show me the updates and inserts which happened but doest shows me the actuall SQL which did the updates or inserts?

That information isn't stored in the transaction log, so how would it know? If you want that level of detail you'll have to run a trace against the database.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply