Raiserror. Is it posible to handle the message before the error is it raised?

• I believe not but who knows?

I would like to handle the messages to add others informations.

For example, if I have a constraint violation, the error is raised and after that I have the posibility to do something (put the @@error in a local variable and if is non 0 do something etc.).

But the error is already raised and the message printed. I know that what I say is more than obvious for every person who have some experience with SQL Server. I still try and ask if there is any posibility to update the message before the error is raised.

Thanks.   

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Try using the T-SQL RAISERROR statement.  Using RAISERROR you can return to the client a string in the raiserror statement or a system defined message from dbo.master.sysmessages.  You can add messages to sysmessages by using the sp_addmessage system stored procedure.  Takes a bit more error handling code in your proc, but well worth it.

Happy Hunting,

Pete

• Finally I did something like that.

FIrst of all I build some tables in which I clasified errors from sysmasters.

I made some views with these custom tables and system and views tables.

After that, after every standard action (which means insert, update etc), i store @@error in a variable and, on the base of that variable like a parameter (and the name of the procedure, the table updated etc) I use a custom raiserror stored procedure.

I had to use for some kind of errors the error description and finally I use the method suggested few days ago (saving in sql server log the description of the error).

I add custom messages and their are the same as those custom error types.

Depends of the error I raise a type or another with the parameters from the stored procedure either constructed in that custom raiserror. 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply