Quick question about Dropping vs. Creating procedures

• Hey everyone,

I'm getting a rather bizarre (but probably simple) error when trying to check for the existence of a procedure before creating it. I know I could just drop it, but I'm really curious as to why this process doesn't work right.

IF OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.spCoverageLog') IS NULL

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[spCoverageLog] ( @spName VARCHAR(100) )

AS

BEGIN

UPDATE dbo.CodeCoverage

SET CreationDate = GETDATE(),ProcedureName = @spName;

END

GO

It's generating a syntax error at PROCEDURE.

Anyone know why this might happen?

The solution was to run the CREATE PROCEDURE statement with EXEC, but it shouldn't be.

• Remove the first line in the code that hsould work. Else add a drop procedure statement and a go after that for the code to work fine.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Here is the working code.

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.objects WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[spCoverageLog]') AND type in (N'P', N'PC'))

DROP PROCEDURE [dbo].[spCoverageLog]

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[spCoverageLog] ( @spName VARCHAR(100) )

AS

BEGIN

UPDATE dbo.CodeCoverage

SET CreationDate = GETDATE(),ProcedureName = @spName;

END

GO

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Hey Sugesh,

Thanks for the reply.

I know dropping the procedure first works just fine. My essential question is this:

How do you create a stored procedure only if it doesn't already exist?

I would have thought it would be exactly the same as a table, but it doesn't work for the reason I indicated.

Thanks!

Nate

• For the record, according to BOL, there's just no way to directly combine CREATE PROCEDURE with any other T-SQL statement within a batch.

• Take a page out of the playbook used in the Generate SCripts functionality. In order to do that - put the create procedure script into a sp_execSQL command (make the create a dynamic SQL statement).

That way you can do

If not exists(....)

Exec Sp_execsql 'Create proc....'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• As stated in BOL:

"The CREATE PROCEDURE statement cannot be combined with other Transact-SQL statements in a single batch."

You need to do something like this:

[font="Courier New"]IF OBJECT_ID ( N'dbo.spCoverageLog' ) IS NOT NULL

DROP PROCEDURE dbo.spCoverageLog;

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE.....

GO

[/font]

Note - you don't need the BEGIN...END in the CREATE PROCEDURE statement.

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
    TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
    --Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

• ... which is why you encapsulate it within a sp_execSQL call. The script within Sp_execsql runs within its own scope, and therefore meets the "within its own batch" rule.

Want a sample? Right-click on a database, pick Tasks, Generate Scripts. turn the "Include IF NOT EXISTS" option on, and pick something. Look at what it does and emulate...

Voila as they say across the pond.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Right on guys; thanks very much for the responses.

That was essentially the solution I used (running the CREATE PROCEDURE statement with EXEC).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply