Question on SQL Server 2000 - 2005

• I am a DB2 DBA that has been asked to become familiar enough with SQL Server in order to become actively involved in its installation, implementation, and to review database backup/recovery procedures. SQL Server will be used by a vendor packaged application.

The problem is that we are awaiting word on whether it will be SQL Server 2000 or 2005 we will be working with. I have been told that there are considerable differences between the two versions.

There is an upcoming local 5 day class on Administering SQL Server 2000 that I would like to take. (outline below)

Question is, are the differences between the two versions so drastic as to render this class less than useful, especially in terms of installation and basic db maintenance functions?

Many thanks in advance.

Gerry

Course Outline: 2072 Administering a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Database

Lesson 1: SQL Server Overview

What Is SQL Server

SQL Server Integration

SQL Server Databases

SQL Server Security

Working with SQL Server

Lesson 2: Planning to Install SQL Server

Hardware Installation Considerations

SQL Server 2000 Editions

Software Installation Considerations

Methods of Installing SQL Server

Verifying the Installation

Configuring SQL Server Enterprise Manager

Troubleshooting

Lesson 3: Managing Database Files

Introduction to Data Structures

Creating Databases

Managing Databases

Placing Database Files and Logs

Optimizing the Database Using Hardware-based RAID

Optimizing the Database Using Filegroups

Optimizing the Database Using Filegroups with Hardware-based RAID

Capacity Planning

Performance Considerations

Lesson 4: Managing Security

Implementing an Authentication Mode

Assigning Logins to Users and Roles

Assigning Permissions to Users and Roles

Managing Security Within SQL Server

Managing Application Security

Managing SQL Server Security in the Enterprise

Lesson 5: Performing Administrative Tasks

Configuration Tasks

Routine SQL Server Administrative Tasks

Automating Routine Maintenance Tasks

Creating Alerts

Troubleshooting SQL Server Automation

Automating Multiserver Jobs

Lesson 6: Backing Up Databases

Preventing Data Loss

Setting and Changing a Database Recovery Model

SQL Server Backup

When to Back Up Databases

Performing Backups

Types of Backup Methods

Planning a Backup Strategy

Performance Considerations

Lesson 7: Restoring Databases

SQL Server Recovery Process

Preparing to Restore a Database

Restoring Backups

Restoring Databases from Different Backup Types

Restoring Damaged System Databases

Lesson 8: Monitoring SQL Server for Performance

Why to Monitor SQL Server

Performance Monitoring and Tuning

Tools for Monitoring SQL Server

Common Monitoring and Tuning Tasks

Lesson 9: Transferring Data

Introduction to Transferring Data

Tools for Importing and Exporting Data in SQL Server

Introduction to DTS

Transforming Data with DTS

Lesson 10: Maintaining High Availability

Introduction to Availability

Increasing Availability Using Failover Clustering

Standby Servers and Log Shipping

Lesson 11: Introducing Replication

Introduction to Distributed Data

Introduction to SQL Server Replication

SQL Server Replication Agents

SQL Server Replication Types

Physical Replication Models

• No. Lessons 3-8 should have knowledge you can apply directly to SQL Server 2005. Lessons 10-11 as well. This is based on the description you posted. I'm not an MCT, so I can't speak authoritatively on that. SQL Server 2005 expands some of the area, for instance, security grows a bunch between 2000 and 2005 (Lesson 4), but you need to know the stuff that's in 2000 for 2005. Some of lesson 2 should be applicable, as well, but anything SQL Server 2000 specific won't be. SQL Server 2005 installs differently and has more considerations. Lesson 9 about DTS is certainly going to be different because DTS has been replaced by SQL Server Integration Services and greatly, greatly expanded.

However, overall a lot of the knowledge you'd pick up in a SQL Server 2000 class will be directly applicable to SQL Server 2005. What you might do is ask to speak to an MCT who teaches the class (and also teaches SQL Server 2005 classes) to get an idea in the difference in course content between the two.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• We were recently forced to upgrade to SQL 2005 for some new servers that we were preparing. When we tried to order new SQL 2000 licences from Dell we were informed that Microsoft were now only shipping 2005 licences. So if you have not purchased your licences, the decision between 2000 or 2005 will probably have already been made for you!!

Cheers

Dave

• Thanks for the replies and information.

• This is true of Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003. However, you do have the option of "downgrading" a license if you still need Windows 2000. This is true of SQL Server 2000 as well.

From Microsoft's SQL Server 2005 Licensing FAQ:

If you require SQL Server 2000 for existing solutions, you can still acquire additional licenses by taking advantage of the SQL Server 2005 "downgrade rights." The downgrade rights enable you to purchase server plus device CALs, server plus user CALs, or processor licenses for SQL Server 2005 and install and use the previous version for a reasonable period of time.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• There is one other option - take the 5 day 2000 admin course. Then take a 3 day upgrading your 2000 skills to 2K5. In lieu of the 3 day class there is also a series of free downloadable webcasts on MSDN that can substitute for the second three day class. I believe that I attended about 14-15 2K5 webcasts last year so they all should be available today.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Rudy:

Yes I saw the elearning that was available and do plan on taking the basic courses.

One thing I find kinda weird. If Microsoft is serious about 'selling' SQL Server, I would think that they would have instructor led live classes scheduled for those DBA's NOT 'experienced in SQL Server 2000'. Very strange that they offer zero live in person classes for those DBAs either transitionining or expanding skills sets from anouther DBMS.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply