Question about difference between SQL 2005 and SQL Enterprise 2005

• We are planning on using SQL 2005 Standard edition for one of our website but after seeing this on the net we were concerned about its impact on things......can anyone confirm that this data posted below is true?  Thank you.

The server that hosts the ACS database must have Microsoft SQL Server 2005. You can choose an existing or new installation of SQL Server 2005. The Enterprise edition of SQL Server 2005 is recommended because of the stress of daily ACS database maintenance.

If you use SQL Server standard edition, the database must pause during daily maintenance operations. This may cause the ACS collector queue to fill with requests from ACS forwarders.

New to the DBA world...thank you for your help!,

IanR

• I think what they are referring to is the ability in Enterprise Edition to build, re-build or drop indexes while keeping the underlying data online.  This feature is called "Online Indexing" and is only available in Enterprise edition.  Normally when you perform indexing operations such as building or rebuilding a clustered index these operations hold exclusive locks on the underlying data and prevent any modifications or queries to this data until the index operation is complete.

This would only really be a concern if you will be running a 24/7 system which will never have any periods of "low" usage when you can do these index operations.

Regards

• So if we were running a 24/7 operation then you would recommend that we go with Enterprise edition?  This would stink since this would be the only reason for us to go Enterprise and its a huge cost for us.  Seems to me MS should correct this for those of us trying to keep a small, cost effective 24/7 shop running. So I guess we would need to bring these db's down in the middle of early morning just to run maintenance.  I really hope that the maintenance doesnt run too long when the db's start to get big.  Or do we just run mirrored servers and maintain them one at a time in order to keep one running?

New to the DBA world...thank you for your help!,

IanR

• hi Ian,

I can't say I now anything about ACS, but if they refer to reindexing, that's usually not a task you would do on a daily basis. In fact for most databases once per month is more than enough. Ho long maintenance takes depends very much on the tasks and the way it's done. for example the standard SQL maintenace plans rebuild every index in a database, which can take quite a while. So on larger datbase (>50Gb) I usually use a script which first checks which indexes need to be rebuild. By doing this the time necessary can be reduced significantly, even though the checks take some extra time.

I suggest to contact ACS or the supplier and ask them what maintenance tasks they are talking about and why it should be done daily.

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• I agree with Markus, under normal circumstances it is usually not necessary to rebuild all your indexes every night, even on very busy systems you can normally get by with re-organizing the indexes every night, which is an online process, and only rebuilding very fragmented indexes over a weekend or once a month.

The safest bet is still to contact the supplier, they may be talking about something totally different so it is best to first understand exactly which maintenance tasks they are talking about.

Regards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply