querying linked servers

• We have a MSSQL server with numerous linked servers ... some being other MSSQL servers, as well as Oracle and AllBase.

We have had success in quering Oracle using the Openquery function.  However, it does not seem to work with AllBase.  I can see the AllBase tables when expanding the linked server in Enterprise Manager ... just can't write a query against them.

Unfortunately, I have no administrative rights over the AllBase DB only an ODBC connection (which by the way works fine with MSAccess ... I can query data!).  I've tried pointing SQL to the MSAccess linked tables ... but, MSSql doesn't seem to recognize the linked tables.  Problem is I would like to get the data into MSSql to utilize Analysis Services.

When I try to run a query against the linked server usnig the openquery I get the following error:

Could not execute query against OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL'.

[OLE/DB provider returned message: ODBC driver does not support the requested properties.]

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' ICommandText::Execute returned 0x80040e21:  select * from SYSTPE.systables].

Any ideas ?

• I don't have a direct answer, but I would do two things. First, make sure you have the latest drivers to connect to AllBase. Second, check with AllBase and any user groups/boards/mail lists/whatever and see if anyone else has experience in that. Myself, I've never heard of AllBase before.

Good luck!

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Thanks for your interest Wayne.  I had never heard of AllBase either ... until this project.  I could not find any AllBase drivers anywhere (I'm guessing ODBC connections were not around when AllBase was developed ?)

I have been all over the web and can't find much on AllBase, the only driver I have been able to find is the one the vendor (third party) gave me (dated 1996).  They swear this is the latest driver.  It seems to be a driver they created themselves using a development tool called Dharma.

• I just searched for it on Yahoo, it looks like it was (maybe still is) an HP/UX product.

A '96 driver is unacceptably old, you're running 2000 or 2003 Server. In '96 drivers were mainly for NT 3.5x.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Can you avoid the OPENQUERY and just do four part naming (servername.databasename.databaseowner.tablename) ? I know it isn't as good performance wise, but if you can get to the data that way...

• Wayne - you're correct, It is an HP-UX platform.  I was assuming they are no longer developing on this ... but maybe I am wrong.

ChrisMoix - I have tried both OPENQUERY as well as the 4 part naming convention.  But I am unsure on how to tell SQl what server name I am going against (since it is a Unix Platform).

I tried "[CareVue].[2.DatabaseServer].[systpe].[systables]" ...

"CareVue" is the linked server name

"2.DatabaseServer" is the secondary database

I get the following error:

OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. The provider does not support the necessary method.

[OLE/DB provider returned message: Method is not supported by this provider.]

[OLE/DB provider returned message: [Dharma][ODBC Dharma Driver  4.1.0 ] -41 Driver does not support this function]

[OLE/DB provider returned message: [Dharma][ODBC Dharma Driver  4.1.0 ] -26 Driver not capable]

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' IDBSchemaRowset::GetRowset returned 0x80040e53:  The provider does not support the necessary method.].

It really sounds to me like it is a driver issue.  If I could only find a new version for AllBase

• You might try an HP/UX usenet, like Google Groups. They might be able to point you in a good direction.

Is it required that you have real-time ad hoc querying? Knowing that no two installations are the same, we polled our SCO boxes and copied over all new transactions every 20 minutes, that was current enough for our needs. We had utilities on the server if we needed to directly query, we could remote in through Terminal Services or just go straight to the SCO boxen.

And I agree, I think it's a drivers issue. It might not be an only issue, but I'm confident that it is part of the problem.

-----

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply