Query Window

• Hi

Does anybody know if it is possible to control a query window in Access 2000 (though we are moving to 2003)?  I need to put a button on a form to show data in crosstab format.  Users press the button and launch a query in a window of a chosen size.

Its easy to create the crosstab query, but I would need the window to have a fixed size like a pop-up form.

I could create a report to do this, but as the number of columns keep changing this won't work (I don't think).

If somebody knows how to size a query window, I would be gratetful to hear.

Thanks

Paul

• I think you'd be better off using a listview to show the results... You could populate it for any query since you can dynamically add columns.

• Hi Remi

What is a listview?

Paul

• Please search the net before asking questions like that :

http://abstractvb.com/code.asp?A=712

• Forgot to add this :

You need the microsoft common controls 6.0 reference. Then check the toolbox for the extended list of available controls (toolbox icon) : Microsoft listview control 6.0.

The version can obviously be different than this one.

• Hi Remi

Apologies for not searching further afield, I thought you were using a different term for a regular Access 2000 feature.

I have checked my References, and there is not one for Microsoft common controls 6.0 - or anything like it.  I've searched for reasons why, but already seem to have the .ocx files indicated (mscomctl.ocx and COMDLG32.OCX).  I also have SP-3 installed. 

If you have any ideas why this is not apparently available, I would be very grateful to hear.

Many thanks for your help both now and in the past.

Paul

• Do you have vb 6 installed or maybe .net?

• I have vb 6 installed....

• Then I guess it's not too illegal >>

in the command prompt :

regsvr32.exe c:/winnt/system32/mscomctl.ocx

Then you should have this dll in the reference list and you "should" be able to access it.

• Hi Remi

Unfortunately not.  It said the dll was successfully installed, but it is not available in References.

Paul

• Should be, did you reopen access?

• Yes, I even went so far as to restart the machine.....

We are moving over to 2003 in the next few weeks, do you think it may be wise to wait for this new installation?  Maybe this feature will be readily available here....

Thanks

Paul

• I don't know. I never used 2k3.

What referrence did you try to add after this?

• Paul you can make a "form" or a "report" to be af an specific size not a query window. You will though need some code to cope with the variable number of fileds. Get a copy of ACCESS 2000/2002 Developers handbook from Sybex

Cheers!

* Noel

• Hi Remi

I when I couldn't find Microsoft common controls 6.0, I looked for any reference with 'common' in it - but nothing looked remotely likely - then anything 6.0 - again nothing seemed correct.  I tried a variety of things like Activex and Office references.  Unfortunately nothing provided the Listview.

Hi Noel

Thanks for this.  I was just looking for something to produce quick and ready snapshots in a crosstab view.  It would have been a fast and simple solution which I could do on immediate request.

Many thanks

Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply