Query Help in SQL Server 2005

• Hi,

I need help and the scenario is as below.

Assuming i have two tables [User] and [UserProfile],

User Table has logindetails where as userprofile table has address, gender and other personal information.

We have some users where in there are records in both user and userprofile table for few users they have not entered their information related to address, gender which was supposed to be in userprofile tabl

Now,

Select *

FROM

LEFT OUTER JOIN UserProfile ON [User].UserID=UserProfile.UserID

IF i execute the above query, the query scans both the tables, now in this for for few there is no records in userprofile and for others there are records in userprofile table along with user table.

what i need to know is, is there any way so that if there are any records in userprofile table then let it scan and fetch records by joining both the user and userprofile tables , if there is no record for some users in userprofile it should not scan the userprofile table and not join user with userprofile table, instead it should fetch records from user table.

will pls let me know is there any way to get this.

With Regards

Dakshina Murthy

• Not exactly sure what you want but here goes

First result - users in BOTH tables

Select *

FROM

INNER JOIN UserProfile

ON [User].UserID=UserProfile.UserID

Second result - users only in table

select *

from

where not exists (select userid from userprofile where userid = .userid)

• Hey Thanks for the reply,

But what i want is, is there any way where in if records are present in the userprofile table then only it should have left outer join with the userprofile table else it should directly fetch records from user table.

My concern is , there might be records where they might have not entered the records for userprofile so , there will be no records in userprofile, if we make use of inner join or left outer join irrespective of the records present in the table [userprofile] it will scan and try to fetch the records, i dont want in this way, it should scan or try to fetch the records if exists in userprofile else only from user table.

with regards

Dakshina Murthy

• can you give some sample tables with values and expected output

• Hi,

Here i am attaching my scenario example with the explaination, please do the need full.

With Regards

Dakshina Murthy

• dakshinamurthy (5/18/2009)

My concern is , there might be records where they might have not entered the records for userprofile so , there will be no records in userprofile, if we make use of inner join or left outer join irrespective of the records present in the table [userprofile] it will scan and try to fetch the records, i dont want in this way, it should scan or try to fetch the records if exists in userprofile else only from user table.

How would SQL be expected to know if there's a matching record in the UserProfile table without reading the userprofile table?

The left outer join you have at the beginning is the closest you're going to get (unless I'm misunderstanding what you want). You can change the select clause so that you have ISNull there, that will allow you to show whichever column is not null.

So

SELECT IsNull(UserProfile.Name, User.Name) AS UserName, IsNull(UserProfile.Gender, User.Gender) AS Gender ....

FROM

LEFT OUTER JOIN UserProfile ON [User].UserID=UserProfile.UserID

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply