query for consecutive alphabets

• SQL is pretty bad at doing any character manipulation and comparison. I always use LIKE, CHARINDEX etc. as a last resort. I agree, your solution performs much better , but still is very processor intensive.

I have modified your query a bit to get rid of the CHARINDEX(using an ASCII comparison), and had an almost 8 X improvement on a very large table. It also got rid of the hard coded alphabet, and can be easily modified to include numbers and other collations when used as a function.

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

PRINT '========== Stan''s Method ======================================================='

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

SELECT count(yt.Name)

FROM dbo.yourTable yt

WHERE NOT EXISTS

(

SELECT TOP 1 1

FROM dbo.Tally t

WHERE t.N BETWEEN 1 AND LEN(yt.Name)-2

AND ASCII(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N,1)) = ASCII(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N+1,1)) - 1

AND ASCII(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N+1,1)) = ASCII(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N+2,1)) - 1

AND ASCII(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N,1)) BETWEEN 65 and 122

)

;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

SET STATISTICS TIME ON

• sharky (4/4/2012)

SQL is pretty bad at doing any character manipulation and comparison. I always use LIKE, CHARINDEX etc. as a last resort. I agree, your solution performs much better , but still is very processor intensive.

I have modified your query a bit to get rid of the CHARINDEX(using an ASCII comparison), and had an almost 8 X improvement on a very large table. It also got rid of the hard coded alphabet, and can be easily modified to include numbers and other collations when used as a function.

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

PRINT '========== Stan''s Method ======================================================='

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

SELECT count(yt.Name)

FROM dbo.yourTable yt

WHERE NOT EXISTS

(

SELECT TOP 1 1

FROM dbo.Tally t

)

;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

SET STATISTICS TIME ON

for my own curiosity the "SELECT TOP 1 1 ..." in the not exists clause, im guessing since its not exist if there is any thing returned that would match the where the actual columns are not important? i have always seen not exist with a SELECT yt.Name ... may have something new in my arsenal.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• No. The correlated subquery just check for any occurance of a 3 consecutive alphabet string, and the TOP 1 1 returns just the first record(This is Jeffs code), and knows it should ignore it. I am not a huge fan of a Tally table as the code can break when you port it, but I have kept it the same for comparrison.

The main difference in my code is the ASCII comparison instead of a string comparison(SQL sucks at it!!) Although more efficient, Jeffs code did not make a huge performance improvement on Craigs because it still had to rely on that ugly CHARINDEX()

The ASCII result is a 10 X increase in performance, with the same 1000000 table used as in Craig and Jeffs code. Also, the performance will deteriorate even more if we include numbers or other characters, while the ascii method will stay the same.

--===== Create a variable to dump to to take the display time out of the picture.

--DECLARE @Bitbucket VARCHAR(50);

--===== Now, run the tests

PRINT '========== Craig''s Method ======================================================'

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

SELECT COUNT(*)

FROM dbo.yourTable a

CROSS APPLY (SELECT TOP 1 CASE WHEN a.name LIKE strings THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

FROM (SELECT TOP 24

'%' + SUBSTRING('ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ',tbl.N,3) + '%' AS strings

FROM (VALUES(1),(2),(3),(4),(5),(6),(7),(8),

(9),(10),(11),(12),(13),(14),(15),

(16),(17),(18),(19),(20),(21),(22),

(23),(24),(25),(26)) tbl(N)) innerQuery

ORDER BY CASE WHEN a.name LIKE strings THEN 1 ELSE 0 END DESC) b(filter)

WHERE filter = 0

;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

PRINT '========== Jeff''s Method ======================================================='

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

SELECT COUNT(*)

FROM dbo.YourTable yt

WHERE NOT EXISTS

(

SELECT TOP 1 1

FROM dbo.Tally t

AND CHARINDEX(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N,3),'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ') > 0

)

;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

SELECT COUNT(*)

FROM dbo.yourTable yt

WHERE NOT EXISTS

(

SELECT TOP 1 1

FROM dbo.Tally t

AND ASCII(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N,1)) BETWEEN 65 and 120

)

;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

SQL Server parse and compile time:

CPU time = 0 ms, elapsed time = 130 ms.

========== Craig's Method ======================================================

SQL Server Execution Times:

CPU time = 0 ms, elapsed time = 0 ms.

(1 row(s) affected)

CPU time = 193908 ms, elapsed time = 68966 ms.

========== Jeff's Method =======================================================

(1 row(s) affected)

CPU time = 172601 ms, elapsed time = 55602 ms.

========== Stan's Method =======================================================

(1 row(s) affected)

CPU time = 17425 ms, elapsed time = 5899 ms.

• sharky (4/5/2012)

the TOP 1 1 returns just the first record

No, SELECT TOP 1 1 will return 1 if there is at least 1 record. I think that is what Hector was asking; why do SELECT TOP 1 * or SELECT TOP 1 column in a NOT EXISTS when SELECTING TOP 1 1 is suffice. Is there really an improvement on anything by doing this? For example...

SELECT COUNT(*)

FROM table

vs

SELECT COUNT(1)

FROM table

Same result... Same performance (I think)... Different coding pattern.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• My question would be why do TOP <x> in an EXISTS when the point of an EXISTS (or NOT EXISTS) is to terminate as soon as it finds a row.

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2011/04/05/to-top-or-not-to-top-an-exists/

Count 1 and count * are synonymous. So are EXISTS (select 1 ...) EXISTS (select * ...) and EXISTS (select <column>...)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (4/5/2012)

My question would be why do TOP <x> in an EXISTS when the point of an EXISTS (or NOT EXISTS) is to terminate as soon as it finds a row.

Count 1 and count * are synonymous. So are EXISTS (select 1 ...) EXISTS (select * ...) and EXISTS (select <column>...)

So adding the TOP is useless in the EXISTS (or NOT EXISTS). So really, its just extra typing and script that can become confusing? 🙂

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• I Agree with Gale. It will terminate anyway when it finds the first record. 1 is just the first record column placeholder which will imply that there is at least 1 record. I agree *, 1 is the same

• sharky (4/4/2012)

SQL is pretty bad at doing any character manipulation and comparison. I always use LIKE, CHARINDEX etc. as a last resort. I agree, your solution performs much better , but still is very processor intensive.

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

SELECT count(yt.Name)

FROM dbo.yourTable yt

WHERE NOT EXISTS

(

SELECT TOP 1 1

FROM dbo.Tally t

)

;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

SET STATISTICS TIME ON

I applaud the innovation! The reason why I didn't use such a method is because it doesn't actually work correctly because the use of the ASCII function makes it case sensitive.

CREATE TABLE yourTable (name VARCHAR(50))

INSERT INTO yourTable

SELECT name

FROM (

SELECT 'Good' UNION ALL --Keep

SELECT 'Goabc' UNION ALL --Filter Out

SELECT 'Goghi' UNION ALL --Filter Out

SELECT 'Goghp' UNION ALL --Keep

SELECT 'Stuart' --Filter Out

) a(name);

SELECT yt.Name

FROM dbo.yourTable yt

WHERE NOT EXISTS

(

SELECT TOP 1 1

FROM dbo.Tally t

)

;

Results: Notice that "Stuart" should not be included because of the "Stu".

========== Stan's Method =======================================================

Name

--------------------------------------------------

Good

Goghp

Stuart

(3 row(s) affected)

However, now that I've see Stan's code, there may be a way to do this using the ASCII function and with a filter that will make a modification to Stan's code even faster. Good idea, Stan.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• sharky (4/5/2012)

I am not a huge fan of a Tally table as the code can break when you port it,

So can any other code that you try to port. Even some forms of basic ANSI code will break between things like Oracle and SQL server. True portability is a myth.

Also, what's so not portable about a simple table of numbers and queries against it??? :blink:

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (4/5/2012)

sharky (4/4/2012)

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

SELECT count(yt.Name)

FROM dbo.yourTable yt

WHERE NOT EXISTS

(

SELECT TOP 1 1

FROM dbo.Tally t

)

;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

SET STATISTICS TIME ON

I applaud the innovation! The reason why I didn't use such a method is because it doesn't actually work correctly because the use of the ASCII function makes it case sensitive.

INSERT INTO yourTable

SELECT name

FROM (

) a(name);

SELECT yt.Name

FROM dbo.yourTable yt

WHERE NOT EXISTS

(

SELECT TOP 1 1

FROM dbo.Tally t

)

;

Results: Notice that "Stuart" should not be included because of the "Stu".

Name

--------------------------------------------------

Good

Goghp

Stuart

(3 row(s) affected)

However, now that I've see Stan's code, there may be a way to do this using the ASCII function and with a filter that will make a modification to Stan's code even faster. Good idea, Stan.

would you be able to slap an UPPER() or LOWER() around yt.Name in ASCII(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N,1)) turning it into ASCII(SUBSTRING(UPPER(yt.Name),t.N,1)) to get around the Stu problem in stan's code?

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• SQLKnowItAll (4/5/2012)

GilaMonster (4/5/2012)

My question would be why do TOP <x> in an EXISTS when the point of an EXISTS (or NOT EXISTS) is to terminate as soon as it finds a row.

So adding the TOP is useless in the EXISTS (or NOT EXISTS). So really, its just extra typing and script that can become confusing? 🙂

Yes... that's what happens when I post at 1:17AM. 😛 I was trying two different methods and forgot to remove the TOP. :blush:

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• capn.hector (4/5/2012)

would you be able to slap an UPPER() or LOWER() around yt.Name in ASCII(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N,1)) turning it into ASCII(SUBSTRING(UPPER(yt.Name),t.N,1)) to get around the Stu problem in stan's code?

Yes but you wouldn't want to slap it around yt.Name because then it will take a bit (admittedly, miniscule, but avoidable) more time and cpu to convert the whole string. It would be better to slap UPPER or LOWER around the SUBSTRING result so it only has to make the conversion to a single character.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Here's my whole test harness including the UPPER modification to make Stan's fine idea work correctly.

INSERT INTO yourTable

SELECT name

FROM (

) a(name);

INSERT INTO dbo.yourTable

(name)

SELECT TOP 1000000

CAST(NEWID() AS VARCHAR(50))

FROM sys.all_columns ac1,

sys.all_columns ac2

;

--===== Create a variable to dump to to take the display time out of the picture.

DECLARE @Bitbucket VARCHAR(50);

--===== Now, run the tests

PRINT '========== Craig''s Method ======================================================'

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

SELECT @Bitbucket = name

FROM yourTable a

CROSS APPLY (SELECT TOP 1 CASE WHEN a.name LIKE strings THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

FROM (SELECT TOP 24

'%' + SUBSTRING('ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ',tbl.N,3) + '%' AS strings

FROM (VALUES(1),(2),(3),(4),(5),(6),(7),(8),

(9),(10),(11),(12),(13),(14),(15),

(16),(17),(18),(19),(20),(21),(22),

(23),(24),(25),(26)) tbl(N)) innerQuery

ORDER BY CASE WHEN a.name LIKE strings THEN 1 ELSE 0 END DESC) b(filter)

WHERE filter = 0

;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

PRINT '========== Jeff''s Method ======================================================='

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

SELECT @Bitbucket = yt.Name

FROM dbo.YourTable yt

WHERE NOT EXISTS

(

SELECT TOP 1 1

FROM dbo.Tally t

AND CHARINDEX(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N,3),'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ') > 0

)

;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

FROM dbo.yourTable yt

WHERE NOT EXISTS

(

SELECT TOP 1 1

FROM dbo.Tally t

)

;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

PRINT '========== Stan''s Method modified by UPPER ======================================================='

SET STATISTICS TIME ON;

FROM dbo.yourTable yt

WHERE NOT EXISTS

(

SELECT TOP 1 1

FROM dbo.Tally t

AND ASCII(UPPER(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N,1))) = ASCII(UPPER(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N+1,1))) - 1

AND ASCII(UPPER(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N+1,1))) = ASCII(UPPER(SUBSTRING(yt.Name,t.N+2,1))) - 1

)

;

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF;

Here are the results from my machine.

========== Craig's Method ======================================================

CPU time = 59716 ms, elapsed time = 34084 ms.

========== Jeff's Method =======================================================

CPU time = 34212 ms, elapsed time = 17813 ms.

CPU time = 23711 ms, elapsed time = 12370 ms.

========== Stan's Method modified by UPPER =======================================================

CPU time = 26786 ms, elapsed time = 13881 ms.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• sharky (4/5/2012)

SQL Server parse and compile time:

CPU time = 0 ms, elapsed time = 130 ms.

(1 row(s) affected)

CPU time = 193908 ms, elapsed time = 68966 ms.

(1 row(s) affected)

CPU time = 172601 ms, elapsed time = 55602 ms.

(1 row(s) affected)

CPU time = 17425 ms, elapsed time = 5899 ms.

I'm thinking that there's either something wrong with either your machine or your Tally table for the Tally table to do that badly on your box. What version/edition/sp/cu of SQL Server are you running and would you mind posting the code you used to create the Tally table? Thanks.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (4/5/2012)

SQLKnowItAll (4/5/2012)

GilaMonster (4/5/2012)

Yes... that's what happens when I post at 1:17AM. 😛 I was trying two different methods and forgot to remove the TOP. :blush:

Of course I meant no disrespect 🙂 Especially to my mentor!

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply