Query Execution Plan

• Hi Everybody,

Can please helpto understand the below question

I have a table and when i execute a query against it and check query execution plan i find there is a table scan performed on the table even though i am using index columns in the where clause, Please refer below script. Thanks a lot in advance.

create table abc(id int, name varchar(20),address varchar(250))

insert into abc

select 1,'a','z'

union

select 2,'b','y'

union

select 3,'c','x'

union

select 4,'d','w'

union

select 5,'e','v'

union

select 6,'f','u'

union

select 7,'g','t'

union

select 8,'f','s'

create index idx_abc_name on abc(name,id)

select id,name,address from abc where name='a' and id=3

Regards

Ashok

• http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2009/01/09/seek-or-scan/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The query optimizer calculates the cost for a table scan to be less that an index seek+RID lookup (the address column). The reason is the low number of rows that the table contains. Try inserting more rows, and you'll eventually see a index seek+RID lookup.

If you force the query to use your index, and compare the cost with the table scan, you will see that the estimated cost for table scan is lower than for the one with index seek.

On my dev server, the cost is 0,0065select id,name,address from abc with(index (idx_abc_name)) where name='a' and id=3

And this gives a cost of 0,0032select id,name,address from abc where name='a' and id=3

Thats why (I guess).

• Create Clustered index and check the result

Clustered Index seek must be there in the execution plan

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan (5/31/2011)

Create Clustered index and check the result

Unless he makes the address column the clustered index, that will have no effect. The index will still not be covering.

Clustered Index seek must be there in the execution plan

Why?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• try it,it will work

create table abc(id int, name varchar(20),address varchar(250))

insert into abc

select 1,'a','z'

union

select 2,'b','y'

union

select 3,'c','x'

union

select 4,'d','w'

union

select 5,'e','v'

union

select 6,'f','u'

union

select 7,'g','t'

union

select 8,'f','s'

create clustered index idx_abc_name on abc(name,id)

select id,name,address from abc where name='a' and id=3

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Sure, but that's a completely different thing to what the OP was doing. The rules for when SQL will do a clustered index seek are different to a nonclustered index seek. The clustered index is always covering and so the 'tipping point' doesn't come into consideration

However just saying 'change the index to a cluster' is not helpful, you can't make all indexes on a table clustered and it does nothing for understanding why SQL chooses not seek on an index.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks all for their valuable comments,

Hi Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan,

Can you please share logic behind it, why it happens, I mean different execution plan for non clustered and clustered index in the same situation. Reply will be highly appreciated .Thanks again.

Regards

Ashok

• ashok.faridabad1984 (5/31/2011)

I mean different execution plan for non clustered and clustered index in the same situation. Reply will be highly appreciated .Thanks again.

Please go and read the article I referenced in my first post here. It explains and shows exactly why SQL's ignoring the nonclustered index.

Also note that it's near-impossible to draw meaningful conclusions of behaviour on just 8 rows. Put a few thousand rows into the table at least and then play and see how things work. With more rows in the table you'll see that for very small row counts (<1% of the total in the table) SQL will do a nonclustered index seek (and key lookups) and for larger row counts it will switch to a table scan.

Also note that you should (on dev boxes only) clear the proc cache on each run to see different behaviours

Gail Shaw

• Hi ,

Please explain then why execution plan is index seek for the below query in the same situation ,index created on the table is still non clustered :

select name,id from abc where name='a' and id=3

it has nothing to do with

"With more rows in the table you'll see that for very small row counts (<1% of the total in the table)

SQL will do a nonclustered index seek (and key lookups) and for larger row counts it will switch to a table scan"

Regards

Ashok

Hi ,

Please explain then why execution plan is index seek for the below query in the same situation ,index created on the table is still non clustered :

select name,id from abc where name='a' and id=3

"With more rows in the table you'll see that for very small row counts (<1% of the total in the table)

SQL will do a nonclustered index seek (and key lookups) and for larger row counts it will switch to a table scan"

Regards

Ashok

That's all CLEARLY explained, demonstrated and proven with test data and code in Gail awesome blog post. So please do yourself a big favor and RTFM (fine).

Please read the blog post I referenced in my first post.

Your new query is covered by the index, so no key lookups are required. The first query you gave was not covered by the index, so key lookups were required.

It has everything to do with that statement. That is precisely what you're seeing, but the row count in the table is so low that even 1 row is above the tipping point where a scan is more efficient than a seek + lookup.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks a lot , I would like to feel regretted if you felt bit pain, I am really sorry for that.

Thanks a ton, I got the point... 😎

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply