Query Analyzer

• Hi,

This may not exactly sound like a question on SQL Server.

I am trying to build an application using .NET which has to be integrated with Query Analyzer.

I have being seraching to see if the query analyzer has got any publicly exposed methods but I have not being able to find out any information on this. I have tried searching in MSDN and other sites as well but could not get any links on this.

It will be very helpful if anybody can give me a lead on this....

Thanks

• ...What are you trying to integrate into?  I guess - what do you mean by "integrate into"?  Are you building a wrapper around QA, trying to improve/extend what QA does, trying to do mostly what QA does but change something. or something else entirely I can't even imagine right now.  It might help steer you in the right direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• like Matt said, it depends on what you mean by "integrate into".

you can add calls to extranal applications int eh toolbar, and there is a project(codeproject.com or planetsourcecode.com , i forget) out there that adds intellisense to QA;

you might want to look at this article on SSC:

Getting the Most Out of SQL Server 2000's Query Analyzer, Part III

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/qa2k_3_1.asp

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I'm trying to build a application which will be able to access the contents of SP's and other scripts. So a publicly exposed method of QA which would get me the contents of SP's, scripts is something which I'm specifically looking for.

• Query Analyzer is just an application that gets the data from a SQL Server database. it doesn't contain the scripts. everything is contained in a database on the server.

typically, you'd do something like this in an application:

create a class to hold all your data objects;get the list of all procedures in a database (select name from sysobjects where xtype='P')

stick that query in a datatable, and present the list in a form you add to your project...QA seems to use a treeview, but you could use a list, a datagrid, whatever you want, and just set it's source to that datatable.

grab this project as a starting point for your concept:

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/database/QASharp12.asp

it's written in csharp, and is a QA emulator. it has syntax highlighting and everything. you can build on it from there.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Why not query the information_schema views to get the data you are looking for? All of the contents of SP's, views, etc are exposed in those views.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply