Queries in Excel

• I have inherited a spreadsheet that has a number, over 200, queries of SQL Server in it.  When there is an error the data is not updated.  Is there a log file somewhere that would list the errors that occur when the queries are run?  The errors seem to be time outs or not enough resources. 

Thanks for the help,

Steve

• Why not add an err handler in the vb code that runs he queries? You could then log 'em to the server or on .log file.

• I would also suggest turning any query in the spread sheet to a Sotred proc on teh server.  THis will speed up the returns. 

Kindest Regards,
    David

** Obstacles are those frightening things that appear when we take our eyes off the goal. **

• Good suggestions.  The code does not appear to be in VBA, it is embedded in the spreadsheet using Excel's query editor.  I do plan to move the queries to the server as suggested.  My plan was to make them views and have the spreadsheet Select <all column names> from the View. 

But for now, I need to find the way if the query fails so it we know which one needs to be run again.

Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply