Quad 700 vs. Dual 1 GHz

• Hi Folks,

I need to install SQL2000 sp3 as a stand alone server on an older box.  I have two choices.

One is a quad 700 the other dual 1 GHz.  The HD and the underlying system buses are similar.

Which should I use?

• I'd say dual, but you'd really want to install on both, run some benchmark, like DBHammer (SQL2K resource kit) or MS Web App Stress Tool) and see what happens.

• I would say that if you anticipate a very busy server then quad would be better, but if you have "light duty" application then the dual. 

I would think also about the type of queries that will be run, short queries will be about the same on both, medium queries will run better on the dual , long queries are a toss up.

For a definitive answer you will have to take Steve’s advice and test since there are 1000's of things that can affect performance.

• Of cours you have to test it.

In addition to that my suggestion is the following:

If you have a lot of small concurrent transactions then a quad proc is better, if you have fewer but long running transactions/batches then chose the faster processors because of the fewer context switches

Bye
    Gabor

• Thanks for the reply.

This is going to be the SQL backend for a MS sharepoint site so there will be lots of short concurrent connections, so I am leaning toward the quad.

I will go ahead and run a test as suggested to make sure the quad will keep up. I will let you know the results.

Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply