prompt me for a password

• On SQL Server 2005, how can I make it so that the server will prompt me for a password when I am click on my database through management studio.

• Why do you want to do that? Probably there must be other ways of achieving what you are looking for. What is the reason why you need such a feature?

• As my manager wants it i have to do that as it recession time.....

• I dont think there is a way to add any custom scripts to achieve this. Wait for a while and see if some one can give a hint on this.

• That feature does not exist built-in SSMS

What you can do is set proper database permissions at the login level. The user who connect through SSMS will see all the databases but will be able to do its stuff only on those db allowed from the login configuration. Others databases will generated an error message telling that the database is not accessible.

• samsql (2/4/2009)

As my manager wants it i have to do that as it recession time.....

What Megistal is telling is right..

:hehe: Your manager is interesting........... 🙂

Rajesh Kasturi

• i hav already done that ... but i want this ...

• samsql (2/4/2009)

Recession time?? How does that help??:cool:

Probably he is testing you, as advised if you maintain proper server level permissions or may be is he asking you to do for the backups........;)

• samsql (2/4/2009)

Sam, I think it's time to go and have a little chat with your manager and determine exactly why he wants this... doesn't make much sense to me. There's nothing wrong with questioning something your manager's told you to do.

• Is this because people will be fired and boss wants accounts/passwords locked down? Or is he/she just bored due to no work?

Figuring out the general requirement from your boss rather than following the exact request might be a better approach.

Having an expiry policy might be a solution depending on what your boss wants to achieve.

The remember password option is not SQL server exactly its SQL management studio (or any application) users have installed to access SQL Server. If you did find a way to disable the option it would only apply to the client installations you made the change on.

SSMS is not meant as a general tool for everyone, those with access to SQL Server should have restrictions which limit what they can see and do. And where appropriate have restricted access periods.

Other than that maybe they should not be using SSMS.

A silly approach might be to have a daily lockdown script to force new random password with MUST_CHANGE. But you would need to be very clear about the accounts to NOT lock down (those used by some process).

Would not be my choice though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply