Procedure names case sensitive

• I found that procedures called from Access ADO worked fine irrespective of capitalisation when the PC was set to English (United Kingdom) but if I change the Regional Settings to Hungarian I get the following error message:

"item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal"

Any ideas why this should be?

• Check

SELECT * FROM ::fn_helpcollations() WHERE [name] LIKE '%hungarian%'

Looks like you are having some sort of case sensitive collation issue with Hungarian

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• I guess this on the right track but I am not sure how to interpret the result. I got 36 rows starting as below.

So are you saying that irrespective of which collation SQL Server is running this can get overriden by the client if Access is running on a different regional setting in this case Hungarian!

Is there a way that I can override this case sensitivity?

Hungarian_BIN

Hungarian, binary sortHungarian_CI_AI

Hungarian, case-insensitive, accent-insensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-insensitiveHungarian_CI_AI_WS

Hungarian, case-insensitive, accent-insensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-sensitiveHungarian_CI_AI_KS

Hungarian, case-insensitive, accent-insensitive, kanatype-sensitive, width-insensitiveHungarian_CI_AI_KS_WS

Hungarian, case-insensitive, accent-insensitive, kanatype-sensitive, width-sensitiveHungarian_CI_AS

Hungarian, case-insensitive, accent-sensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-insensitiveHungarian_CI_AS_WS

Hungarian, case-insensitive, accent-sensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-sensitiveHungarian_CI_AS_KS

Hungarian, case-insensitive, accent-sensitive, kanatype-sensitive, width-insensitiveHungarian_CI_AS_KS_WS

Hungarian, case-insensitive, accent-sensitive, kanatype-sensitive, width-sensitiveHungarian_CS_AI

Hungarian, case-sensitive, accent-insensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-insensitiveHungarian_CS_AI_WS

Hungarian, case-sensitive, accent-insensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-sensitiveHungarian_CS_AI_KS

Hungarian, case-sensitive, accent-insensitive, kanatype-sensitive, width-insensitive

• I honestly don't know.  It looks to me like the regional setting automatically uses case sensitivity???  There may be a way of overriding the individual settings but it is going to be a try this and see.... and now try that I think...

Sorry

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Just a thought on the regional settings and capitalization. does hungarian use extended characterset.  I would guess that it does.  The prolem then may be that the  extended Characters my not always have an Upper or Lower Case I.E. there are no Captial Kanji Characters.

If this is the case I would surmize that you cannot override the regional settings.

ymmv

Tal McMahon

Kindest Regards,

Tal Mcmahon

• by the way this is a client problem .. not a server probem .. then let your server control panel Language as it is ..

make your locate "hungarian" and the  default Language is "English (united states)" >> by pressing SET DEFAULT button..

I have faced the same problem in dealing with Arabic .... becuase I was named some object in Access Db in Arabic ..

I solve it by making my locate "English (united states)" and the  default Language is "Arabic" ..

by the way what is your OS on the client?

I hope this help u

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

• Yes this is the short term solution I have adopted except that when they report problems I tell users to use English (United Kingdom) rather than colonial slang

My long term aim though is to try to make my code work on all machines whatever the language. I am hoping this is just a case of switching my PC to Hungarian then testing the full functionality. For future code I will be very careful to match case sensitivity.

The greater problem will be to cope with US dates if my app ever gets rolled out to our offices there. I suspect they might object to having to set their PCs to European dates.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply