Problems with ForEach container for Excel importing

• What I'm trying to achieve is a SSIS package that will pick up 1 or more excel files, process the data in them via the conditional splitter, pushing the good data into a table, and all other rows into an error table.

I'm having some issues using the ForEach container to process multiple excel spreadsheets into tables. The excel import into the tables is more or less working (imports data for good cases, but uses a null if the Excel Source when it gets an unexpected value - but that's a seperate problem).

I found something related to this when searching, but it related to CTPs (June and September) and trying to reuse the connection strings they built up there (using my own variable names, naturally) causes a 'Property Value failure':

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The connection string format is not valid. It must consist of one or more components of the form X=Y, separated by semicolons. This error occurs when a connection string with zero components is set on database connection manager.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attemtpted to use this:

"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + @[User::RankingFileFullPath] + ";Extended Properties=\"Excel 8.0;HDR=YES\";"

The excel importer works fine as a stand-alone component. Trying to use the process defined in 'Profession SQL Server Integration Services' pp140, I tried to use an expression to assign the variable value to the connection string. I get a validation error:

Error at Import TPNB Ranking Excel spreadsheets [Excel Source [1]]: The AcquireConnection method call to the connection manager "Excel Connection Manager" failed with error code 0xC0202009.

Error at Import TPNB Ranking Excel spreadsheets [DTS.Pipeline]: component "Excel Source" (1) failed validation and returned error code 0xC020801C.

Error at Import TPNB Ranking Excel spreadsheets [DTS.Pipeline]: One or more component failed validation.

Error at Import TPNB Ranking Excel spreadsheets: There were errors during task validation.

Error at Excel Importer [Connection manager "Excel Connection Manager"]: An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x80040E4D.

Any advice?

.... in addition ....

I attempted to change the package - I set the Data Flow validation to Delay Validation, and changed the expression to change from:

ConnectionString @[User::RankingFileFullPath]

to

ExcelFilePath @[User::RankingFileFullPath]

This allowed the package to start debugging, and gave more information in the failure:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SSIS package "Excel Importer.dtsx" starting.

SSIS breakpoint 'Break when the container receives the OnPreExecute event' at executable 'Excel Importer' has been hit

SSIS breakpoint 'Break when the container receives the OnPreExecute event' at executable 'Foreach Loop Container' has been hit

SSIS breakpoint 'Break when the container receives the OnQueryCancel event' at executable 'Excel Importer' has been hit

Information: 0x4004300A at Import TPNB Ranking Excel spreadsheets, DTS.Pipeline: Validation phase is beginning.

Warning: 0x802092A7 at Import TPNB Ranking Excel spreadsheets, ProductSalesRank Table [278]: Truncation may occur due to inserting data from data flow column "Rank" with a length of 1000 to database column "SalesRank" with a length of 50.

Error: 0xC0202009 at Excel Importer, Connection manager "Excel Connection Manager": An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x80004005.

An OLE DB record is available. Source: "Microsoft JET Database Engine" Hresult: 0x80004005 Description: "Unrecognized database format 'D:\Testing\TestRanking.xls'.".

Error: 0xC020801C at Import TPNB Ranking Excel spreadsheets, Excel Source [1]: The AcquireConnection method call to the connection manager "Excel Connection Manager" failed with error code 0xC0202009.

Error: 0xC0047017 at Import TPNB Ranking Excel spreadsheets, DTS.Pipeline: component "Excel Source" (1) failed validation and returned error code 0xC020801C.

Error: 0xC004700C at Import TPNB Ranking Excel spreadsheets, DTS.Pipeline: One or more component failed validation.

Error: 0xC0024107 at Import TPNB Ranking Excel spreadsheets: There were errors during task validation.

SSIS breakpoint 'Break when the container receives the OnQueryCancel event' at executable 'Excel Importer' has been hit

Warning: 0x80019002 at Foreach Loop Container: The Execution method succeeded, but the number of errors raised (5) reached the maximum allowed (1); resulting in failure. This occurs when the number of errors reaches the number specified in MaximumErrorCount. Change the MaximumErrorCount or fix the errors.

SSIS breakpoint 'Break when the container receives the OnWarning event' at executable 'Excel Importer' has been hit

Warning: 0x80019002 at Excel Importer: The Execution method succeeded, but the number of errors raised (5) reached the maximum allowed (1); resulting in failure. This occurs when the number of errors reaches the number specified in MaximumErrorCount. Change the MaximumErrorCount or fix the errors.

SSIS breakpoint 'Break when the container receives the OnPostExecute event' at executable 'Excel Importer' has been hit

SSIS package "Excel Importer.dtsx" finished: Failure.

The program '[2460] Excel Importer.dtsx: DTS' has exited with code 0 (0x0).--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Apparently, I added too much detail, and poeple are avoiding the question 🙂

I've tested doing exactly the same thing, but using CSV's as the source (i.e. text files and not excel files). And it works fine. So there's nothing wrong with the environment, DB etc.

...aaarg

• if you are interested in creating a solution using a foreach loop container and flat files please go to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms166566.aspx otherwise please ignore this post.

Thanks!

• You may want to take a look at this as it may give you some insights.

I was able to create a foreach loop container that would loop through the entire folder to load data in file name that had same base name, but the appended name was different to accomodate each payroll period and fiscal year data. It stands to reason if you are able to manipulate the file name you should be able to delete the file that you need to. In order to do that you will need a foreach loop container a File System Task and a Data Flow task.

Follow this to import data with different file name:

I am able to use multiple flat files inside the etl solution to import different file names into SQL Server 2005 database by inserting a foreach loop container setting the enumerator to file enumerator making sure the file path is the correct one and using the <base file name>_*.txt in the collection pane. Then right click flat file manager to bring up properties and click ...button located in expressions, which brings up Property Expressions Editor. Choose connection string and click expression ...button and expand variables file to click and drag user::<FileName> that was created inside the foreach loop container from above into the expression box. Take the data flow task into the foreach loop container and it worked without issue.

Thanks!!

• i am also facing the same problem while importing multiple files to sqlserver db using foreach loop container.

• I have the same problem. I tworkd fine for flat files, but for excel files, it gives me error "the Could not find installable ISAM"

I have to use the connection string

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply