Problems moving database between Windows 2000 to Windows 2003

• Hi friends.

We moved some databases from one SQL 2000 with Windows 2000 SP4 to another with SQL 2000 Sp3a/Windows 2003 STD SP1.

every is working Ok, but the development group told me, they recieved an error with a distributed transaction:

Server: Msg 7391, Level 16, State 1, Procedure procedure1, Line 61

The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.

[OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ]

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d00a].

They told me that this error does not appear in the Windows 2000 Server. I followed the steps in this MS article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329332/en-us but nothing happens.

any ideas? We tried restarting the server but nothing happens...

Thanks for help.

• Few ideas...

Are your linked server settings the same on each machine?

MDAC versions the same?

Perhaps try applying SP4 of SQL 2000.

According to the MS article you provided you may need to stop both SQL and the DTC, then start DTC then, after DTC has started, start MSSQL.  Have you tried this?

Hope one of those helps.  Let us know how you go.

• Thaks for reply. The Linked server configuration are the same on both servers. Now, i cant install SP 4 because the server is running about 20 databases, and i have the problem with this 3 new ones.

I have tried restarting the computer and stopping and restarting the services like this article.

Thanks for the ideas...

• There is a newer KB article that may apply for you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839279

It describes how to configure the firewall service to allow DTC to work.  Interestingly, it seems that the problem can happen even if the firewall service is not turned on.  Strange, indeed.

jg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply