Problem with Temp table created by exec(@SQL)

• Hi Forum,

I need to create a Stored Procedure which will receive the name of a table as parameter and perform numerous operations (probably using a 'Curse her' :crazy:) on that table. I know this sound unorthodox but there's a few reasons why I have to do things this way.

In the procedure I don't want to have to build multiple SQL command strings and call Exec (@SQL) repeatedly so I'm trying to copy the source table to a #temporary table so I can use regular T-SQL syntax throughout the procedure.

Here's a short script to illustrate what I'm trying to do.

/* First let's create a table to work with. In 'real life' this would be created by a 3rd party app which will call the procedure */

Create Table myTable (Col1 char(20))

Go

/* Add some data to it */

insert into myTable

Select 'A' union all

Select 'B' union all

Select 'C'

Go

/* Create the Procedure */

Create Procedure DoMyStuff

(

@TableName char(100)

)

as

Declare @CopyCommand char(100)

Set @CopyCommand = 'select * into #T from ' + rtrim(@TableName)

Exec (@CopyCommand)

Select * from #T

Go

/* Test it ! */

Exec DoMyStuff 'MyTable'

For some reason the #T table doesn't get created, or if it does then I don't know where because when I run the procedure I get the result shown below and I can't find a #T table in tempdb.

Msg 208, Level 16, State 0, Procedure DoMyStuff, Line 8

Invalid object name '#T'.

What I am doing wrong ?

• Temporary tables are created within context and when you use dynamic sql you have created a new context, so when you

create a temporary table within dynamic sql it is only available within that context.

To return your data you would need to do the select from #temp within the dynamic sql.

• eric (10/30/2008)

Hi Forum,

I need to create a Stored Procedure which will receive the name of a table as parameter and perform numerous operations (probably using a 'Curse her' :crazy:) on that table. I know this sound unorthodox but there's a few reasons why I have to do things this way.

In the procedure I don't want to have to build multiple SQL command strings and call Exec (@SQL) repeatedly so I'm trying to copy the source table to a #temporary table so I can use regular T-SQL syntax throughout the procedure.

Here's a short script to illustrate what I'm trying to do.

/* First let's create a table to work with. In 'real life' this would be created by a 3rd party app which will call the procedure */

Create Table myTable (Col1 char(20))

Go

/* Add some data to it */

insert into myTable

Select 'A' union all

Select 'B' union all

Select 'C'

Go

/* Create the Procedure */

Create Procedure DoMyStuff

(

@TableName char(100)

)

as

Declare @CopyCommand char(100)

Set @CopyCommand = 'select * into #T from ' + rtrim(@TableName)

Exec (@CopyCommand)

Select * from #T

Go

/* Test it ! */

Exec DoMyStuff 'MyTable'

For some reason the #T table doesn't get created, or if it does then I don't know where because when I run the procedure I get the result shown below and I can't find a #T table in tempdb.

Msg 208, Level 16, State 0, Procedure DoMyStuff, Line 8

Invalid object name '#T'.

What I am doing wrong ?

You are creating a local temporary table. It is being created when you do the Exec (@CopyCommand), however it is deleted by SQL Server when the command completes as it is created in a different session. You either need to create a permanent table in the dynamic sql, or use a global temporary table, and then explicitly drop the table when you are done.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply