begin
              try
                // bypass system objects
                if not SQLStoredProcedure.SystemObject then
                begin
                  iScriptOptions := SQLDMOScript_Default or SQLDMOScript_Drops;
                  strScript      := TStringList.Create;
                  try
                    // Here, the Script call is not returning anything.
                    strScript.Text := SQLStoredProcedure.Script(iScriptOptions, SCRIPT_PATH + SQLStoredProcedure.Name + '.sql', SQLDMOScript2_Default);
                    // Even tired this with no affect: (EmptyParam is same as NULL)                
                    // strScript.Text := SQLStoredProcedure.Script(iScriptOptions, EmptyParam, SQLDMOScript2_Default);
                    strScript.SaveToFile(SCRIPT_PATH + SQLStoredProcedure.Name + '.sql');
                  finally
                    strScript.Free;
                  end;
                end; {if not SQLStoredProcedure.SystemObject}
              finally
                SQLStoredProcedure := nil;
              end;
            end; {if Assigned(SQLStoredProcedure)}
          end; {for i := 0 to SQLDatabase.StoredProcedures.Count-1}
        finally
          SQLDataBase := nil;
        end;
      finally
        SQL_DMO.DisConnect;
        SQL_DMO := nil;
      end;
    end; 

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I was able to compile your code and get it to work in Delphi 5 with SQL Server 2000, so I'm not where your problem might be.

In the past I have not used DMO to get Stored Procedure scripts-- I have used sp_helptext 'spName'. Of course then you need to get the stored procedures with ADOConnection.GetProcedureNames.

Another place I look for help is the stored knowledge of the Borland newsgroups at http://www.fulltextsearch.com. Let me know if I can help any more with your problem.

Brian

• usually I use tamarack.com .vs fulltextsearch.com and I have

not found an answer yet.

• Problem with using sp_helptext is that it will not get the full text of large procedures. I think the limit is 8K.

The Script method is the same thing used by Enterprise Mgr when you select Generate SQL...

• I have not experienced that limitation-- I just got the script for a 25 kb stored procedure through sp_helptext. Since sp_helptext outputs the procedure code line by line (respecting the line breaks inside your stored procedure), there may be a problem if a single line in the procedure was more than 8000 characters long, but I have not tested that extreme situation.

I still would like to help you solve your original problem, but since it works for me in Delphi 5 I'm not sure what the next step would be. What version of Delphi and SQL Server are you testing on?

• D7 and SQL2000 SP4. I have a vbs script that works flawlessly.

I just can't get this to work correctly usign Delphi because we have a utility to script out our data and I'm adding this functionality into it. The Delpih is a simple one to one translation of the VBS script using early binding. Maybe I could try late binding?

I was mistaken about the sp_helptext, it seems. I had answered a guy over at Experts-Exchange on a question about returning complete SP text and came up with another solution.

• OK, I have found the problem as to why it doesn't work. I found an old type lib file

on my system that was for version 7. SQL2K uses version 8 and SQLl2005 uses version

8.5. I have reimported the typelib and renamed it to SQLDMO_TLB_8_0 and

SQLDMO_TLB_8_5 and renamed the old one SQLDMO_TLB_7_0. It now works.

• That's great! Thanks for the update-- it will help others who bump into similar problems. (And sorry I didn't follow up earlier, but I was out of ideas and wouldn't expect any benefit from changing the late/early binding but didn't know.)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply