Problem in procedure

• Hi all,

I do not want to confuse people, especially when they are trying o help me.

Below is a sample of how stored procedure seems :

PROC1

-----Procedure1 is calling with @StepId ,@Status Parameters-----

BEGIN TRY

BEGIN TRANSACTION

Insert Into Table1 (StepId,Status) values (@StepId ,@Status )

update Table1 U

set u.RefRecId = f.RecId

from Table1 u

inner join FlowHistorty f on

u.StepId = f.id

where u.StepId=@StepId

COMMIT TRANSACTION

EXEC PROC2 @StepId

END TRY

PROC2

-----Procedure2 is calling with @StepId Parameters-----

select * from Table3 inner join Table1 on Table3.refrecid=Table1.refrecid

where Table1.StepId =@StepId

Here, some times, select statement does not return anything. It seems that cannot find RefRecId=@recid. Procedure1 may be run from several users at the same time.

Thank you,

• You're doing an inner join with Table3. Are you sure that Table3 has the rows needed?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Yes, table3 has refrecid row.

• j.grimanis (6/16/2015)

Is there a possibility that rows are still in commit process (multiple users call the first procedure ) and when the second procedure is running, the respective tables have not the updated data?

No.

SQL statements always run consecutively. The second procedure won't start until the first one has completed.

Can you post the entire procedures, not just a sample. Fair chance the problem is in the portion you didn't post.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Because the second procedure is running inside the first one, after commit trans, first all transactions will be commited and after that will the second procedure be executed? I am afraid that it is executed during the commit, thats why it cannot read the updated table..... i will try to post the code tomorrow.

• j.grimanis (6/16/2015)

I am afraid that it is executed during the commit, thats why it cannot read the updated table

That is not possible.

Statements run sequentially. If you have a call to a procedure after a COMMIT TRAN, the the COMMIT TRAN must start and complete before the procedure is called.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I think it's time to check your previous assumptions about what's succeeding and what's not. Try it in a test environment and check for transaction handling in your called procedures. Figure out what's REALLY going on. Like Gail said, statements are sequential, so the state of the data for a statement includes the affects of previous statements, so there must be something you're not seeing.

• j.grimanis (6/16/2015)

Hi all,

I do not want to confuse people, especially when they are trying o help me.

Below is a sample of how stored procedure seems :

PROC1

-----Procedure1 is calling with @StepId ,@Status Parameters-----

BEGIN TRY

BEGIN TRANSACTION

Insert Into Table1 (StepId,Status) values (@StepId ,@Status )

update Table1 U

set u.RefRecId = f.RecId

from Table1 u

inner join FlowHistorty f on

u.StepId = f.id

where u.StepId=@StepId

COMMIT TRANSACTION

EXEC PROC2 @StepId

END TRY

PROC2

-----Procedure2 is calling with @StepId Parameters-----

select * from Table3 inner join Table1 on Table3.refrecid=Table1.refrecid

where Table1.StepId =@StepId

Here, some times, select statement does not return anything. It seems that cannot find RefRecId=@recid. Procedure1 may be run from several users at the same time.

Thank you,

You have a TRY/CATCH block (although you haven't given the CATCH part). It seems fairly obvious that the TRY block is throwing an exception and the CATCH block is "handling" it. Your CATCH block should be logging or returning the error message, so that you can troubleshoot. You need to look at your CATCH block to figure out what it is doing when an exception is thrown.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply