Presenting Data

• dietztm (7/20/2015)

Why not learn Power Pivot too? It's not THAT hard. I know that many of us are allergic to Excel (from an end-user perspective) but Power Pivot is actually SQL (in-memory SSAS tabular) and there are many benefits to having it in your tool kit. The core skill is understanding relational data, which is old hat for most of us.

you should if you have time.

• GoofyGuy (7/20/2015)

The problem with BI is that "Business Intelligence" is frequently an oxymoron. No matter what the data is or how it is presented, the people that it's all provided/presented to actually need to use it to come to the correct conclusions and then take the correct actions. I can't speak for anyone else but I find that to frequently be a rarity.

'I find that frequently to be a rarity' ... sounds as if it's a bit of an oxymoron, too!

It may sound somewhat strange to some people, but I don't think there's an oxymoron there. The adverbs "frequently" and "rarely" aren't qualifying the same action/situation, the statement simply means that it is frequently true(ie it is the case in very many companies) that the people who get the data rarely interpret it correctly.

Tom

• It may sound somewhat strange to some people, but I don't think there's an oxymoron there. The adverbs "frequently" and "rarely" aren't qualifying the same action/situation, the statement simply means that it is frequently true(ie it is the case in very many companies) that the people who get the data rarely interpret it correctly.

No kidding.

You do understand what the expression 'taking the mickey' means?

• GoofyGuy (7/20/2015)

You do understand what the expression 'taking the mickey' means?

Yes, it's very easy to translate that to ordinary English 🙂 : In this phrase "Mickey" means "piss" (and the capital M was once incorrect, but now it's become fixed by common usage). It refers to deflating some one either humorously or by mockery (mockery was the original meaning).

edit: you can safely ignore any derivation involving the unknown, unidentified, in fact wholely imaginary Michael Bliss, and also anti-Irish racist derivations. Bothe are pretty common, sadly.

Tom

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/20/2015)

dietztm (7/20/2015)

Why not learn Power Pivot too? It's not THAT hard. I know that many of us are allergic to Excel (from an end-user perspective) but Power Pivot is actually SQL (in-memory SSAS tabular) and there are many benefits to having it in your tool kit. The core skill is understanding relational data, which is old hat for most of us.

Heh... or not.

"I was made to offer the past in this manner. I cannot change."

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• You do understand what the verb 'google' means. 😉

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/20/2015)

dietztm (7/20/2015)

I don't have time, but we don't have time to keep our legacy ad-hoc reporting application (SSRS 2008R2/Report Builder 1) limping along forever either. Power Pivot gives us a much more robust/faster way to deliver "canned" reports via Power View and replaces RB1 for the power users.

Fortunately the learning curve to building Power Pivot models is short. Steep, without any formal training, which we also don't have time or budget for, but short.

• dietztm (7/22/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/20/2015)

dietztm (7/20/2015)

I don't have time, but we don't have time to keep our legacy ad-hoc reporting application (SSRS 2008R2/Report Builder 1) limping along forever either. Power Pivot gives us a much more robust/faster way to deliver "canned" reports via Power View and replaces RB1 for the power users.

Fortunately the learning curve to building Power Pivot models is short. Steep, without any formal training, which we also don't have time or budget for, but short.

I'm with you on this one. That and the fact it forces people to do client side reporting that's not optimized and developed to be reused for team usage makes it harder to adapt from my end. That's why we encourage Excel usage to explore and do adhoc analysis that eventually will be converted to Tableau or even SSRS at the end of the road.

• xsevensinzx (7/23/2015)

I'm with you on this one. That and the fact it forces people to do client side reporting that's not optimized and developed to be reused for team usage makes it harder to adapt from my end. That's why we encourage Excel usage to explore and do adhoc analysis that eventually will be converted to Tableau or even SSRS at the end of the road.

That's the goal with much of the Powerpivot stuff. It's great for ad hoc stuff, but if you find something that's really useful, then you should put it into a more formal, more controller, wider distribution platform.

That being said, there are some great ways to analyze data in PP, and helping customers use it is a great way to show some value to your employer.

• I'm lucky as I'm one of those that get to retrieve the data and put it in a form for presentation to someone. It makes me look like a master artist, when I know that it couldn't be done without the constant work of others to make sure the database is constructed and maintained properly.

• Rod at work (7/20/2015)

...Ultimately I do think that honing our skills at writing queries is good, and that goes for developers as well as DBAs.

Too true.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply