Potential presentation idea: SQL Server for absolute beginners

• Sounds like quite a few folks on this thread need to submit sessions for the Wanna be a DBA track at the Pittsburgh SQL Saturday.

I already volunteered Ed.

And, Ray, between security, renting a car, checking in, and so forth, driving from Albany to Pittsburgh will be the same amount of time!!!!!

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John (6/7/2016)

Sounds like quite a few folks on this thread need to submit sessions for the Wanna be a DBA track at the Pittsburgh SQL Saturday.

I opened a new PowerPoint file and started messing around with some ideas. I've titled it "Introduction to SQL Server: Getting Your Feet Wet." I'm thinking that this will be a high-level introductory overview that explains some basic concepts. Nothing too in-depth (that'll come later), just something to (hopefully) whet people's appetites.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (6/7/2016)

Michael L John (6/7/2016)

Sounds like quite a few folks on this thread need to submit sessions for the Wanna be a DBA track at the Pittsburgh SQL Saturday.

I opened a new PowerPoint file and started messing around with some ideas. I've titled it "Introduction to SQL Server: Getting Your Feet Wet." I'm thinking that this will be a high-level introductory overview that explains some basic concepts. Nothing too in-depth (that'll come later), just something to (hopefully) whet people's appetites.

Sounds good!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (6/8/2016)

Ray K (6/7/2016)

Sounds good!

Thanks!

If you have any suggestions as to what I should include, I'm all ears!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Ray K (6/7/2016)

So, here's what I have so far. Let me know if there's anything else I should add.

• What is a relational database?
    • What is SQL Server?
    • What is Transact-SQL (also known as T-SQL)?
    • Some basic database concepts:

- Tables

- Rows and columns

- Indexes

- Primary and foreign keys

- Data normalization

• Batch vs. line-by-line processing
    • How to get started
    • Where to find learning resources

Am I forgetting anything? Anything I should include or exclude?

Bear in mind that this initial presentation is meant to be high level. I'm not trying to go in-depth (that'll come in later presentations); rather, I'm just looking to introduce and define basic concepts.

Let me know. Feedback, please! 🙂

Edit: added another one to the list!

• Ray K (6/8/2016)

Ray K (6/7/2016)

So, here's what I have so far. Let me know if there's anything else I should add.

• What is SQL Server?

- Tables

- Rows and columns

- Indexes

- Data normalization

• How to get started

Bear in mind that this initial presentation is meant to be high level. I'm not trying to go in-depth (that'll come in later presentations); rather, I'm just looking to introduce and define basic concepts.

I would add the concept of how SQL Server loops behind the scene so that you don't have to. For me, it's been the key to being able to write high performance code and my belief is that concept should be introduced from day 1 hour 1.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (6/8/2016)

Ray K (6/8/2016)

Ray K (6/7/2016)

• What is SQL Server?

- Tables

- Rows and columns

- Indexes

- Data normalization

• How to get started

I would add the concept of how SQL Server loops behind the scene so that you don't have to. For me, it's been the key to being able to write high performance code and my belief is that concept should be introduced from day 1 hour 1.

Yep, I had that in mind when I added "batch vs. line-by-line." I figured I'd need to include that for potential programmer/developers in the audience.

In fact, I had you in mind when I added that! 😉

• I discovered that one of the sessions at Albany SQL Saturday is an intro to T-SQL.

I'm going to try to get to that session; I'm hoping it'll give me some ideas as to what to do with my idea!

• So, as part of my effort to put together this presentation idea, I'm working on a series of 'blog articles that are geared toward beginners -- people getting their feet wet with SQL Server (of which I've written three, so far -- links are listed below). I'm hoping that writing these will give me a foundation that I can use to put together a presentation or precon.

With that, I could use some feedback. Take a look at my articles and let me know if I'm on the right track. Is my information accurate, does it seem okay, and what else should I cover?

Thanks in advance!

My 'blog articles:

• Installing SQL Server 2016[/url]
    • Installing a baseball database[/url] (how to set up tables and import data)
    • Setting up a primary key[/url]

• I think this would be great if you can publicize it to those that are thinking of making the plunge. Back when I started, there were no user groups within a 250 mile radius that would present things like what you can use it for, what do you want to do and is this the right tool, etc.

Once those questions are answered, a user would have a better idea if this is the tool for their application and can then go into the next steps of learning the basics.

I would love to see more user groups in the upper midwest that are actually functioning. I would love to contribute to these now that I am somewhat comfortable with SQL Server.

• So, interesting conversation this past weekend at SQL Saturday Albany...

I was talking to a couple of guys in the speaker's room on Saturday (one of them happened to be Thomas Grosher) and I mentioned my idea. I told them what I had in mind, and even showed them some of the 'blog articles I'd written. They said I had a good idea, and they liked what I had. Thomas encouraged me to continue running with my idea.

I also mentioned Grant's suggestion that I put this together into a pre-con. That got the attention of another speaker in the room -- who also happens to be one of the organizers of SQL Saturday in NYC next May. He asked me if I'd be interested in doing a pre-con. We exchanged contact info, and he said he'd be in touch.

Can we say opportunity knocks??? 🙂 Now I have something to shoot for! So I guess I have ten months to put something together!

• Excellent. Good luck.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I just found this thread while looking for something else 🙂

I also am interested in doing training of newbies....devs, managers, young people fresh out of school, etc.   But I am more on the admin side, whereas you appear to be more on the Dev/T-SQL side.

I even have a kid in my neighborhood I am mentoring a few hours a week.  He's almost done with HS...may go straight into the workforce if I do my job right in training him.   Night classes for other basic IT concepts.

The presentations I have written in one form or another:

• What is a database?
    • What are backups and why do we need them?
    • Installing SQL 2016 Dev for students and learners

There will be more.   Had never considered lumping these together as a pre-con, especially since I have never presented to non-coworkers before...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• Kevin3NF - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:13 AM

I just found this thread while looking for something else 🙂

I also am interested in doing training of newbies....devs, managers, young people fresh out of school, etc.   But I am more on the admin side, whereas you appear to be more on the Dev/T-SQL side.

I even have a kid in my neighborhood I am mentoring a few hours a week.  He's almost done with HS...may go straight into the workforce if I do my job right in training him.   Night classes for other basic IT concepts.

• What is a database?
    • What are backups and why do we need them?
    • Installing SQL 2016 Dev for students and learners

There will be more.   Had never considered lumping these together as a pre-con, especially since I have never presented to non-coworkers before...

Yeah, I need to revisit this.  I've been so busy with stuff (including, among other things, another presentation idea I have) that I never got around to following up on this.  I still want to make this happen, but life got in the way; it's probably just a matter of taking some time to sit down and work on it.

• So I was thinking about this this morning, and I figure it's time to revisit.  Unfortunately, I never got around to executing the grandiose plan I had of putting together a precon-type presentation for this, so I'm thinking about starting even simpler.

From what I can gather, one of the most common questions we see is, "how do I get started with SQL Server?  Where do I begin?"  I'm thinking about putting together a SQL Saturday-type presentation that addresses this question.

Yeah, I realize that there's a lot of stuff to pack into an hour, so I'm thinking about talking about little things, tips, and advice to whet people's appetites and get them started.  I wrote a blog entry[/url] about this a while back, and am thinking about using that as a starting point.

I'm thinking about calling it something like, "Getting your feet wet: how to get started with SQL Server".

So what do you folks think?  Does this sound like a plan?  What should (or shouldn't) be included in such a presentation?  Any feedback you might have would be appreciated!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply