port is not changing in sql server cluster

• I have the active active sql server cluster and I am not able to set the port 1433 for tcp ip.As I change it to Yes it is not saving .

Thanks

• guptaajay1985 (9/23/2009)

I have the active active sql server cluster and I am not able to set the port 1433 for tcp ip.As I change it to Yes it is not saving .

What rights do you have on the cluster, what tool are you using to change the ip address and why are you changing it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Full control

and it is newly configured and I am not able to telnet the database from my web server on port 1433 ..

Thanks

• On a active-active cluster at least one of the instances must have a port other than 1433. If both instances would use the same port, a conflict would occur during a failover situation.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• I am new to this so please help

Thanks

• on a active active as already mentioned, the sql instances will have different port numbers, if you cannot set 1433 for that particuklar instance, chances are that the other instance is already set to 1433

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• what port should I select for other node other than 1433

Thanks

what port should I select for other node other than 1433

Unless you have any applications which require a fixed port I would recommend to use dynamic port settings. If you have to use a fixed portnumber you can use any (free) port you want.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• 1434,1435 or anything which is open (to check it do a telnet) and not blocked by your firewall. Check with your network team if you are doing it in your organization.

-Forum Etiquette: How to post Performance Problems[/url]

-Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code to get the best help [/url]

• Generally what DBAs recommend

Thanks

Generally what DBAs recommend

I guess already mentioned above by MarkusB?

-Forum Etiquette: How to post Performance Problems[/url]

-Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code to get the best help [/url]

• MarkusB (9/23/2009)

On a active-active cluster at least one of the instances must have a port other than 1433. If both instances would use the same port, a conflict would occur during a failover situation.

Not quite true. You can have a active-active cluster with both instances running on the same node while both instances are listening on the same port. You have to make sure that the instances are only listening on their respective virtual ip addresses and not on any ip addresses that are local to the node.

Andy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply