Populate a Status column

• I need to create a view to display employee id and time in/out status. My view should look like this since i see that employee has not time out (refer to second row). I wrote sql but it's not giving me this result.

emp id clocking Status

12 in

Data

id c_date time_in time_out

12 2009-01-07 2009-01-07 06:21:42.000 2009-01-07 12:04:22.000

12 2009-01-07 2009-01-07 12:51:57.000 NULL

= = = sql = = =

SELECT TOP (100) PERCENT dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS.emp_id, MAX(dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS.clocking_date) AS Clocking_Dt,

MAX(DISTINCT dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS.time_in) AS [in], MIN(DISTINCT dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS.time_out) AS out

FROM dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS INNER JOIN

dbo.EMPLOYEES ON dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS.emp_id = dbo.EMPLOYEES.emp_id

WHERE (dbo.EMPLOYEES.active = 1)

GROUP BY dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS.emp_id

HAVING (dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS.emp_id = 12)

ORDER BY dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS.emp_id

• here's some consumable data to help look at the problem.

i think in your example you said one column was c_date, but int he SQL you referenced clocking_date; i added both fo the example.

use tempdb

CREATE TABLE CLOCKING_DETAILS(emp_id int,clocking_date datetime default getdate(),c_date smalldatetime default getdate(),time_in datetime,time_out datetime)

CREATE TABLE EMPLOYEES(emp_id int,empname varchar(30),active int)

insert into EMPLOYEES

SELECT 12,'Bob',1 UNION ALL

SELECT 13,'Jeff',1 UNION ALL

SELECT 14,'Tom',0

INSERT INTO CLOCKING_DETAILS(emp_id,c_date,time_in,time_out)

SELECT 12, '2009-01-07','2009-01-07 06:21:42.000 ','2009-01-07 12:04:22.000' UNION ALL

SELECT 13, '2009-01-07','2009-01-07 06:21:42.000 ','2009-01-07 12:04:22.000' UNION ALL

SELECT 14, '2008-01-07','2008-01-07 06:21:42.000 ','2008-01-07 12:04:22.000' UNION ALL

SELECT 12, '2009-01-07','2009-01-07 12:51:57.000',NULL

i don't think you should be getting the min and the max for the fields, especially since the table explicitly has in and out fields.

it looks like you are trying to find ONE record per employee(the last entered?) is that right?

since you are using 2005, i would use the row_number function to get the data instead:

check out the intermediate results:

select row_number() over (partition by CLOCKING_DETAILS.emp_id order by time_in) AS RW,*

FROM dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS

INNER JOIN dbo.EMPLOYEES

ON dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS.emp_id = dbo.EMPLOYEES.emp_id

WHERE (dbo.EMPLOYEES.active = 1

and i would wrap THAT in a query to get just the columns where my alisaed rownumber RW = 1:

SELECT * FROM (

select row_number() over (partition by CLOCKING_DETAILS.emp_id order by time_in) AS RW,*

FROM dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS

INNER JOIN dbo.EMPLOYEES

ON dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS.emp_id = dbo.EMPLOYEES.emp_id

WHERE (dbo.EMPLOYEES.active = 1

)MyAlias WHER RW = 1

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell,

You are right on target. Also, I wanted to thank you for answering me and helping me with the code. truly appreciated. I am getting following error when I execute this sql

SELECT * FROM

(

select row_number() over

(partition by cd.emp_id order by time_in) AS RW,*

FROM dbo.CLOCKING_DETAILS cd

INNER JOIN dbo.EMPLOYEES e

ON cd.emp_id = e.emp_id

WHERE (e.active = '1')

)

myAlias WHERE RW = 1

Msg 8156, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The column 'emp_id' was specified multiple times for 'myAlias'.

• it's the * for the column list.

there's no problem running that statement all by itself, but if ytry to create a VIEW of it, you'll have problems because the emp_id exists twice; once in employee and another time in the clocking_details.

try this, where the * is preceded by only a single table instead:

SELECT * FROM

(

select row_number() over

(partition by cd.emp_id order by time_in) AS RW,

cd.*

ON cd.emp_id = e.emp_id

WHERE (e.active = '1')

)

myAlias WHERE RW = 1

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• The new sql statement works and gives me records. However, I do not need all the columns. I need to add a column cStatus to display In/Out based on the time_in or time_out column.

• change the cd.* to a list of the actual columns desired.

your status, I'm assuming is just one more field based on a case statement; you were not explicit on the expected values, so her's my WAG:

SELECT * FROM

(

select row_number() over

(partition by cd.emp_id order by time_in) AS RW,

cd.emp_id,

cd.c_date,

cd.time_in,cd.time_out,

CASE

WHEN cd.time_out is NULL

THEN 'Clocked IN'

ELSE 'Clocked Out'

End As cStatus

ON cd.emp_id = e.emp_id

WHERE (e.active = '1')

)

myAlias WHERE RW = 1

Lowell

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply