Please help me with a install of Outlook 2k on SQL Server 7

• I am new to the admin role and have been given a task to get Outlook 2k working on a SQL 7 server.  It previously worked, they migrated Outlook 2003 on it and it stopped working so they decided to go back to Outlook 2k.  It would send out only one email message and then stop working.  It caused some other problems like making outlook hang on exit which I fixed...but still cannot get the mail configured correctly.

I think the biggest problem I have is not knowing the correct way to install and configure the mail client and how many profiles I should have...if it is just one (when I install Outlook 2k under the SQLSERVER account or if I also need to create a mail profile when I log into the server under the SERVER_ACCOUNT too in adition to the SQLSERVER account)

I have done the following. 

Steps so far

1. Logged into the server with the account that starts SQL server and SQL server agent (SQLSERVER).
    2. Stopped SQL Server and Server Agent
    3. Installed Outlook 2k
    4. Went into Control Panel --> Mail and configured the mail profile...I entered the exchange server and the mail box name.
    5. Sent an email manually to myself and it goes through like a dream so I am assuming that the mail client is working correctly.
    6. Rebooted the server
    7. Logged into the server with the NT domain account (Using the SERVER_ACCOUNT)

SO I think I did that all right...let me know if I missed anything or didn't specify it in the above list.

SO I have rebooted the server and logged into the server with the Doman NT account (Using the SERVER_ACCOUNT).

Question

Once I have the mail installed and set up with the account that actual starts SQL server do I need to do any further configuration ?

The reason I ask is there is a seperate doman NT account that is used to log into the actual server.  The account that starts the SQL server (we will call it SQLSERVER) is different than the NT domain account that starts the server (we will call it SERVER_ACCOUNT)

In the mail settings the mail box is the same name as the SERVER_ACCOUNT

Enterprise Manager

In EM I have gone into the SQL mail and right clicked...the name is the same as the SERVER_ACCOUNT and the same with the SQL Agent for the mail.

Everytime I try to do a xp_sendmail I get a general MAPI error

I have worked on this all day long and gone though dozens of MS support sites looking for any information I can on setting up mail correctly and to the best of my knowledge (somewhat limited at time ) I think I am doing it right...but the end result is nothing is working.

So if anyone can give me some basic trouble shooting steps I would appreciate it...I am starting to get very frustrated...

Thanks in advance.

leeland

I have tried both and the end result is the same I get a general MAPI error.

• OK got it figured out...basically there was a problem on the exchange end that I didn't know about.

When Outlook 2003 was installed on the server, the mailbox was also created on the exchange 2003 server.

So a new mail box had to be created on the exchange 5.5 server.

THEN I had to go back and re-install and set up the outlook 2000 client on the server under the SQL account and the Doman account.

THEN go into EM and make the appropriate changes.  Restart SQL server and Bham...everything is working !!!

• Great!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply