please advise me .how to rectify this error

• Hi all,

Please help me,

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2008, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

Thanks,

swathi

• Well have you tried to search for the error?

If not I would suggest enabling remote access to the SQL Server instance you are trying to connect to.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Make sure that the server is in started state, also make sure that you have entered the correct server name on the server.

Have a nice day!

• This is a very generic error...mainly check the name of the SQL Server instance for any name errors (type, spelling)...

also check if the instance is actually started...these check may seem silly but more often than not , they are the causes...

and yes, if you are connecting from a remote machine, check that the "Allow remote connections" is enabled in SQL Server Configuration Manager

• Go to -> SQL Server Configuration Manager and then select allow remote connections. After done restart your machine.

Regards,

Sandeep

• If Named Pipes is enabled and you still are seeing this message, take a look at the firewall on the server.

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
    Elroy: Nope.
    George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.

• First check the connection on the same server then go for remote,check all 3 protocols for SQL Server instance as well as client protocols in the SQL Server configuration Tools

Regards,

Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan

MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog

http://www.aureus-salah.com

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Also, If it is a named instance make sure that SQL SERVER BROWSER SERVICE is Running.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply