Pivot Table Help

• I am having a hard time getting a pivot table to work correctly. One problem is that it is not formatting the ouput corretly, the other problem is that my very small development dataset is producing dynamic sql that is way too big.

My question here is in two parts:

1. How can I get the output generated correctly for my sample dataset?

2. How can I get the dynamic sql size cut down to handle my production dataset?

Pivot Description:

I have a table which contains test features, and test run status'. I need to pivot the run status' so that on the left column, we have the feature, and in the right columns we have the percentage of the feature in a given run status. My sample set contains 6 "Feature" and 6 "RunStatus". The production DB table contains ~1700 "Feature" and ~60 "RunStatus".

Sample Dataset:

DECLARE@raw TABLE (TestListID INT, Feature VARCHAR(256), RunStatus varchar(64))

INSERT@raw

SELECT1, 'Sample', 'FAIL' UNION ALL

SELECT2, 'trial', 'PASS' UNION ALL

SELECT3, 'Stride', 'Error' UNION ALL

SELECT4, 'Regression', 'PASS' UNION ALL

SELECT5, 'Regression', 'PASS' UNION ALL

SELECT6, 'Setup', 'Waived' UNION ALL

SELECT7, 'Setup', 'Defered' UNION ALL

SELECT8, 'Setup', 'Error' UNION ALL

SELECT9, 'Regression', 'Error' UNION ALL

SELECT10, 'Setup', 'Error' UNION ALL

SELECT11, 'Unit', 'Ready' UNION ALL

SELECT12, 'Unit', 'Ready' UNION ALL

SELECT13, 'Unit', 'Ready' UNION ALL

SELECT14, 'Unit', 'Ready'

Desired Output:

Feature Defered Error FAIL PASS Ready Waived

------- ------- ----- ---- ---- ----- ------

Regression 0.0 33.3 0.0 66.6 0.0 0.0

Sample 0.0 0.0 100.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Setup 33.3 33.3 0.0 0.0 0.0 33.3

Stride 0.0 100.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

trial 0.0 0.0 0.0 100.0 0.0 0.0

Unit 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 100.0 0.0

The work that I have to date done on this problem is based on another topic in these forums. I cannot recall the name of the person on whose work this is based. If you recognize some hints of your work in what I Have done, please respond to this thread, and I'll give you all of the kudos that you deserve.

This is what I have so far:

SET NOCOUNT ON

---===== If the temp table to hold the results in exists, drop it

IF OBJECT_ID('TempDB..#Results') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #Results

---===== Populate the temp table with results from your original query

SELECT TestListID, [Feature] AS AttributeName, [RunStatus] AS AttributeValue

INTO #Results

FROM @raw

IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0

RETURN

CREATE

INDEX [test] ON #Results ([AttributeName])

--===== Declare some local variables to hold some Dynamic SQL

DECLARE

@MySQL1 VARCHAR(8000)

DECLARE

@MySQL2 VARCHAR(8000)

DECLARE

@MySQL3 VARCHAR(8000)

--===== Build the SELECT clause

SET @MySQL1 = 'SELECT AttributeName AS Feature, '

--===== Build the select LIST

SELECT @MySQL2 = ISNULL(@MySQL2 + ',','') + '

(CASE WHEN AttributeName = ''' + d.AttributeName + '''

THEN 100.0 *

((SELECT COUNT(TestListID) FROM #Results WHERE ([AttributeValue]=''' + e.AttributeValue + ''' AND [AttributeName] = ''' + d.AttributeName + ''')) /

(SELECT COUNT(TestListID) FROM #Results WHERE ([AttributeName] = ''' + d.AttributeName + ''')))

ELSE 0 END) AS ' + '[' + e.AttributeValue + ']'

FROM

(SELECT DISTINCT TOP 100 PERCENT AttributeName FROM #Results ORDER BY AttributeName) d,

(SELECT DISTINCT TOP 100 PERCENT AttributeValue FROM #Results ORDER BY AttributeValue) e

--===== Build the FROM and GROUP BY clauses

SELECT @MySQL3 = CHAR(13) + 'FROM #Results GROUP BY AttributeName, AttributeValue'

--===== Display the resulting SQL

PRINT @MySQL1+@MySQL2+@MySQL3

--===== Execute the Dynamic SQL

EXEC ( @MySQL1 +@MySQL2 +@MySQL3 )

Any help or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

• jones.justinw (11/13/2007)

The work that I have to date done on this problem is based on another topic in these forums. I cannot recall the name of the person on whose work this is based. If you recognize some hints of your work in what I Have done, please respond to this thread, and I'll give you all of the kudos that you deserve.

I am fairly certain that was Jeff Moden, and if I remember correctly the OP had some problem with computer attributes or CPUs or something like that. I have no idea where the post is, but I know I saw it here. Any how, if you do not need dynamically built column names the below should do what you want. I do not have an elegant way of truncating the extra 0's after the decimal, but maybe you do. Anyhow, I am sure Jeff will know what you are talking about, and will probably be able to point you to the post.

SELECT

Feature,

Defered = SUM(ROUND(CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),Defered)/CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),(Defered+Error+Fail+Pass+Ready+Waived)),2)),

Error = SUM(ROUND(CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),Error)/CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),(Defered+Error+Fail+Pass+Ready+Waived)),2)),

Fail = SUM(ROUND(CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),Fail)/CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),(Defered+Error+Fail+Pass+Ready+Waived)),2)),

Pass = SUM(ROUND(CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),Pass)/CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),(Defered+Error+Fail+Pass+Ready+Waived)),2)),

Ready = SUM(ROUND(CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),Ready)/CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),(Defered+Error+Fail+Pass+Ready+Waived)),2)),

Waived = SUM(ROUND(CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),Waived)/CONVERT(DECIMAL(5,2),(Defered+Error+Fail+Pass+Ready+Waived)),2))

FROM

(

SELECT

Feature,

Defered = SUM(CASE WHEN RunStatus = 'Defered' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END),

Error = SUM(CASE WHEN RunStatus = 'Error' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END),

Fail = SUM(CASE WHEN RunStatus = 'Fail' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END),

Pass = SUM(CASE WHEN RunStatus = 'Pass' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END),

Ready = SUM(CASE WHEN RunStatus = 'Ready' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END),

Waived = SUM(CASE WHEN RunStatus = 'Waived' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)

FROM #Raw

GROUP BY Feature

)t1

GROUP BY Feature

Greg

Greg
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The glass is at one half capacity: nothing more, nothing less.

• http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic242919-8-1.aspx

I think this is the post you are talking about

Greg
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The glass is at one half capacity: nothing more, nothing less.

• Thanks Greg for your input. It was indeed work from Jeff Moden that I based my efforts off of. Thank You Jeff!

As far as my pivot problem goes, the "Feaure" and "RunStatus" values are constantly changing. They are never fixed. This is why I had to to go with the dynamic SQL approach.

-Justin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply