Phantom SSIS crash/fail converting DT_NEXT to DT_TEXT

• Hi all,

An SSIS 2012 package I am supporting has been failing for a few days now (prior to that it ran successfully for over a year).

The error message in the catalog is not at all helpful at all. It fails due to Unexpected termination and there is no error or warning in the report itself.

So I tried to run this from the VS debugger to see what happens. In VS you get an exception popup from the debugger, VS stays open and looks like it is still trying to run (progress wheel on data flow) even though it shows processing finished.

In one data flow it is copying from a DT_NTEXT field, and then has a conversion transformation that takes it to (DT_TEXT,1252). I have through process of elimination found that the error is happening on this conversion. So I looked for something really weird in the text data and found nothing.

Only 700 odd records in the data flow and several nulls so I started doing process of elimination looking for a bad record. And here is where it gets weird. If I select only the rows where there is text I get the crash. If I select only the other rows I get the crash.

No idea what is happening here. Could some sort of windows dll update have broken this conversion? No idea why the debugger would be crashing, but it doesn't look specific to one row.

• Seems to be causing an APPCRASH on Kernelbase.dll when run from VS

• Now 99% sure this is a windows update issue. Now just have to figure out which update.

Thanks, Microsoft!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply