Personalising SSMS

• Hi,

I've started to personalise my SSMS environment to aid development. Not a lot but small things make a difference over the long term.

Some of the things I've done :

1. Added line numbers

2. Changed the tab width to 2 chars

3. Uploaded the settings file to onedrive to use in different environments

4. Installed Books Online locally to give me T-SQL help with F1.

It has me wondering if there is anything else people recommend to improve a dev's life.

Best

Lee

• leehbi (2/10/2016)

Hi,

I've started to personalise my SSMS environment to aid development. Not a lot but small things make a difference over the long term.

Some of the things I've done :

1. Added line numbers

2. Changed the tab width to 2 chars

3. Uploaded the settings file to onedrive to use in different environments

4. Installed Books Online locally to give me T-SQL help with F1.

It has me wondering if there is anything else people recommend to improve a dev's life.

Best

Lee

Sure. Throw in some add-ons. SQL Search (Redgate) and SSMSBoost (Solutions Crew) are both free. SQL Prompt (Redgate) is not free, but well worth the financial outlay.

These make SSMS an even more friendly and customisable place to be.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• SQL Prompt and Search for me. Of course, I work for Redgate, so I get the former.

I change fonts usually to make it easier to read.

That may be the biggest change.

• Install the free tool SQL Sentry Plan Explorer. Also, to further trick out your SSMS, while you've got the hood up, add your DBA scripts collection to the 'Code Snippets Manager'.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I'll be sure to check the tools out.

Much of my work is spent at client sites on their environment. I'd be happy to suggest commercial products to my team if licenses can be used across client sites. We use ssdt/vs in this way.

Font/size is good tip!

Best

Lee

• SQL Prompt is working on a personal license. I'm not sure how it would work if you use lots of machines, but you certainly could have it on a single VM and use that to connect elsewhere.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/10/2016)

SQL Prompt and Search for me. Of course, I work for Redgate, so I get the former.

I change fonts usually to make it easier to read.

That may be the biggest change.

Which font do you use? I usually switch to Consolas.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• Ooh, I like the look of SQL prompt - I'd pump for it myself if I could use across client sites.

• I leave things at Consolas, but make the font bigger. 12 or 14 😉

• Customizing SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)[/url]

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Fixing SQL Server Management Studio’s Tab Text[/url] by Brent Ozar

• Call me old fashioned: I like CTRL-SHFT-C and CTRL-SHFT-R for commenting/remove commenting blocks of text. Frustrated me no end when this changed.

Here's how to get them back: http://thebakingdba.blogspot.com/2012/10/ssms-2012-getting-my-ctrlshiftc-back.html

Slightly off-topic but too cool not to mention is this trick for editing many lines of code simultaneously: https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2015/04/ssms-alt-shift-trick/[/url]

Customize SSMS tabs (info displayed, color): https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2011/06/fixing-sql-server-management-studios-tab-text/[/url]

Rich

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply