Permission Issue

• Hi

I am facing an issue as below:

1. One of SQL Login (Which is an job actually) is db owner in user database and db_datareader and db_datawriter in master.

When tries to login and execute some SP on user database, it gets an error like error like:

[ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]EXECUTE permission denied on object 'sp_XXXXX(It is in exended SP)', database 'master', owner 'dbo'.].

Can any body tell me why it happens like this? As he is db_datareader and db_datawriter on master, he should have execute permission on all sp s of master.. When I made this account dbo of master.. the issue is fixed.

Please let me know what is the issue here?

Thanks in advance...

• I suspect some stored procedures require special permissions, i.e. datareader/datawriter is not enough. Just to give you one example, to use sp_password to change someone else's password requires you to be at least in the System Security group.

• It's sp_prepare and resides in extended SP of master. Do you have any idea what it needs plz?

Also can you plz tell me if db_datareader grants exec permission on sp s?

Thanks in advance..

• sp_prepare appears to be SS2005, i.e. don't see it in SS2K. In any case, many SPs in master have execute permission to public. I found at least one (sp_remove_tempdb_file) which does not have this permission. And as I mentioned regarding sp_password, it too has execute permission to public but if you try to use it to change someone else's password you will get bounced.

From my experience, the only time I every requested from a DBA datareader for master was when I had to have read access to sysxlogins which is a table.

Thus look at the permissions of sp_prepare. In SS2K, you right click on the object and do All Tasks/Manage Permissions. Surely there is something equivalent in SS2005.

• cpuld you please post us the name of the extended procedure that is returning in the error message.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply