performance of the query and index

• dva2007 (10/24/2011)

thanks jeff & gail.

I had a quick look at this article before couple of years which made my wrong impression about select into.

http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/Tricks-to-increase-SQL-Server-query-performance

Many thanks for the clarification.

Ah... now I understand why you thought so. It shows that even some of the experts still believe in the myth. I had started to write an article on the myth with code that shows that although there are some locks put on sys.objects, they don't interfere with the creation of other tables, temporary or other wise unless a linked server is involved, as previously stated.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• thanks jeff.

It seems i need to be careful about reading the article. I would assume if the article written on some sql forum from expert then it will be accurate.

• http://sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/Do-yourself-a-favor-Trust-No-One.aspx

Also note that's an incredibly old article that you referenced.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • On that note... do what I do... I trust no one's article. I test the heck out of their claims using my own code. In truth, you shouldn't even trust me. Test anything I say or recommend, as well, because no one is beyond making a mistake including me.

Even though it's from Microsoft, I didn't even trust the document I cited until after I tested it to some large extremes.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• i agree. i think it is up to individual to take the advice and believe in things. I should have done my work and tested it properly. this is the advantage of hanging around on this forum where some times you can come out of misunderstanding or misinterpretation.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply