Performance issues & upgrations to Standard edition 2005

• HI All,

I am working with SQL server 2005 Standard edition [64 bit ] Sp3 , 4 Processors 20 GB RAM with Windows 2008 operating system.

On one DB server we launched two countries websites one after another [www.happy.co.uk ,www.happy.com].

Initially we faced a lot of performance issues, but all issues are resolved now.

I am running a perfmon tool , we observed some like this .

User connection reached to 1000, transactions\sec reached to 2000, the processor time is 100 %[ daily twice or thrice ] .

Now we are planning to launch one more site [www.happy.au] .

If we launch the new website also on the same DB server surely we will face performance issues.

What are the precautions i need to take before launch the site on the same server .what are the up gradations i need to take care .

I think its not possible to increase the processor why because standard edition supports only 4 processors .

Please share your thoughts on this .

Regards,

Lavanya

• What sort of performance problems did you find, and how did you fix them ?

Perhaps there is more tuning that can be done. Even though current performance is acceptable, there may still be room for improvement.

• The numbers seems quite high , are you sure the website load justifies the number of transactions per sec and the number of concurrent user sessions you are seeing.

If not you might want to check where are additional sessions are coming from and the transactions from these.

Its obvious that the current setup will not be able to scale to accommodate more countries and you could end up facing downtime if it continues.

Resource governor is a great feature in SQL 2008 that allows you to throttle the usage of the sql server resources.

However the first thing you need to do is check your sizing for the server, and then code if the sizing is fine.

You can check if there are long running queries or queries performing a large number of transactions such as inserts using a while loop on a row by row basis etc. The CPU usage is something your should be worried about. check the below link for possible reasons.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966540.aspx

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-1/

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-2/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for the Quick response .

Is it advisable to launch the one more site on the same DB server ?still we have some performance issues on present server .

Thanks ,

Lavanya

• homebrew01 (1/30/2012)

What sort of performance problems did you find, and how did you fix them ? -- we increased the no of processors and RAM size .we did table indexing on some tables . we resolved the long running queries.

Perhaps there is more tuning that can be done---

Even though current performance is acceptable, there may still be room for improvement.........what are the steps for improvement ??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply