Perf Mon and SQL Profiler

• Hi all,

I need to monitor IO and memory usage on one of our SQL servers.  But everyone around is concerned that Perf Mon and Profiler put too much overhead on the server that it will interfere with the processes. 

I cannot imagine that it's the case but I don't have any facts to prove it.  Need proof...I would appreciate any help.

thank you

• Direct them to Microsoft's TechNet site and it will explain about the minimal overhead - which is primarily display related.

Of course, if you are storing large amounts of Profiler data, it is best to do it to a remote machine, I have found, then output that data to a SQL database later (or an entirely different SQL box if you have one.)

Minimal with only marginal effects on performance.  I use them both, daily, on a production VLDB and if we took a performance hit from it, I would have been fired long ago.

Good Luck

• Hi Veronica!

I agree with Studdy05, we also monitor our server 24/7 using profiler and perfmon and there is no impact on our servers' performance.

If you still concerned with it's impact, be aware that the Profiler Tool isn't the most optimized tool, so if you're going to capture a large amout of data, instead using the Profiler Tool, use the trace stored procedures (sp_trace_create, sp_trace_generateevent, sp_trace_setevent, sp_trace_setfilter, sp_trace_setstatus) or a remote machine, as recommended before.

Regards,

• Check out Mike's article on Perf Monitoring and SMTP Mail.  Its related to what you want and very timely to your question. 

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/mmetcalf/smtpsqlserverperformancealerts.asp

Francis

• thank you very much for all of your replies.  I will check out everything that was suggested.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply