Patched!

• Hey, maybe MS will go to 3-part numbering like Sybase, Oracle and DB2 --- wow another 'retro' concept !

Humor aside, that is exactly what they probably need to do. The downside is that testing bug fixes and enhancements separately will complicate testing procedurally but in the end most likely simplify overall testing of a given fix or release.

Just do not be wishy-washy like Sybase and constantly change the meaning of EBF acronyms !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Did anyone notice this?  The new datatype, vardecimal, is available only in Enterprise Edition!

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/b/5/2b5e5d37-9b17-423d-bc8f-b11ecd4195b4/WhatsNewSQL2005SP2.htm

"Added new functionality in the SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition to provide another storage format that can be used to minimize the disk space that is needed to store existing decimal and numeric data types. No application changes are required to use its benefits. This new storage format, known as vardecimal storage format, stores decimal and numeric data as variable length columns and can be enabled or disabled at a table level on new or existing tables. If you have declared a decimal or numeric column with high precision but most values in the column do not require many digits of precision, you can potentially save a large amount of the disk space that is needed to store the table. A new stored procedure is provided to estimate the reduction in average row size with the new storage format. For more information, see Storing Decimal Data as Variable Length."

• Another article just out today announces that SP2 for W2K3 is due out in 1Q07. In that article, it mentions:

"Performance improvements for SQL Server 2005: When you install SP2 on a SQL Server 2005, SQL servers that are under heavy load may experience performance improvements."

So my guess is that if you are running SQL2005 on W2K3, you may want to wait until it's SP2 is out. SP1 caused some grief that I could have done without.

I just know that M$ wouldn't release two competing SP's that would never, ever conflict with each other....

As far a Vista goes, I have a one week old laptop with it on it. I'm scared to release it to my users. They have enough trouble already. However, my teenager thought that the Aeroglass was cool.

Some features like networking are a real pain in the Aeroglass.

• I used to work for a software development company.  When the company released the product due date and you were trying to meet the date, some of the testing would probably be missed.  I don't mind service pack if it really solved the problem.

If you use Oracle and its own ERP system, the service packs flooded everyday!!!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply