Passing Porcedure Parameters using N'

• The need is to formulate the needed file paths and database name based on an input by my new DBA. I am doing this because I am in need of load balancing the data files on different platters to get some better performance and need to remove the human error in the placement of them.

After some manipulation I will store the values I need in some variables (varchars) and pass them to the Create Database command. It doesnt work for me because I cannot pass the variable to the command. It doesnt like it. BTW - I have this problem anytime I try to pass a variable to a procedure looking for N' type of information.

Any suggestions?

Kindest Regards,
    David

** Obstacles are those frightening things that appear when we take our eyes off the goal. **

• I'm not sure I follow you. Can you post what you've tried and what error it gives please?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Instead of VARCHAR, if you use NVARCHAR, that might address the issue.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Or build dynamic SQL. For a case like this (CREATE DATABASE command), I wouldn't worry about any performance issues.

• STUPID!!!!! I never tried using the NVARCHAR declaration! It's the little things we forget. I will let you know if that resolves my problem.

Kindest Regards,
    David

** Obstacles are those frightening things that appear when we take our eyes off the goal. **

• Not stupid, you just needed a nudge.

I've been going around telling all & sundry that the bit data type wouldn't take a null. Then Gail just simply tells me I was wrong. I went around bashing myself in the head for a whole day over that one. I still don't know where I got such a mistaken belief.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• We've all done it at least once.

I told a lot of people that truncate wasn't logged and couldn't be rolled back. Even mentioned that in some code reviews I did.

Then I tried it. :Whistling:

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply