parsing address

• hi, im running into a bit of a problem. i will like to string parse the street name into what you see below using DTS. How can i get around this?

12 north plaza boulevard apt.16

12|N|plaza blvd| apt16

• Daniel,

It is not an easy task unless you define a lot of rules in a kind of a dictionary or table. While it is easy to replace spaces with | , it is not easy to figure out what words should be replaced with what. My friend worked with street addresses and there are so many abbreviations for the street, circle, terrace, plaza and many more

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Daniel,

As I said on the "other" forum...

I don't think you can because "plaza" and "boulevard" are both street types.  Plus, there's all sorts of permutations for addresses.  It takes a pretty good set of rules to handle them all.  Most folks buy an address certification tool that has all of this good stuff already built in.  For Canada, there's a product called "Street Sweeper" and for the U.S., there's a product called "MyMailer" which does CASS certification.

Consider that tere are such address as...

23 North North Plaza Boulevard apt.16-1/2

...and...

23 North 3rd Street West ste A

Like I said, lot's o' rules and none of them are going to get them all right even if you do have a mail certification program.  But, the mail cert program will certainly help.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply