Package Configuration

• This is my first time using the SSIS and the package configuration. A couple of things that I don't understand are if you're going to configure for multiple server, that is, development, testing, stagging, production and let's say you're going to use the xml. Does this mean that you're going to have 4 different xml files? Also, based on anyone's experience, where would you put the xml file(s)?

• Here is what I have done...

I created an XML file for production, test, and development. On my laptop, I placed the XML file for the development environment in a folder on my C drive (C:\SSIS\Config). On my test server, I created the same folder and placed the test XML configuration. On my production server, I again created the same folder and placed the XML file there. The XML files all have the same name so when I deploy, I get the correct environment.

The XML file needs to be in place for the server that is running the SSIS package, not the one it is stored on. So, if you run all of your packages from the SQL agent on another server, the XML file needs to be in the C:\SSIS\Config folder on that server. So, this server can only run production-connected packages using the configuration.

After having done this, I have mostly abandoned the package configurations. I now create packages with my development environment connections saved with the package (ensuring that if someone opens it in Management Studio and just runs it that it will not impact production). When I deploy, I always run the packages through the SQL Agent, so I set the connection strings in the job step appropriately. This makes it easy for me to manage. If I have to do a one-time execution of a package, I start the job through the job agent and never run them manually through Management Studio.

• ok, thanks for the feedback you guys, it's what I was looking for. Looks like I can either run the connection through an xml file or run the connection through the server agent. I'll play with both.

Taffy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply