Other databases

• My first job was with a company that had just taken delivery of an HP3000/42. It had a disk drive the size of a large domestic washing machine and held @300Mb of data.

On my first day my boss called me into his office, took out a bottle of whiskey from the bottom of his filing cabinet from which he poured a me generous measure, handed me a boiler suit and said "I need someone to stream data cables through the roof".

These were serial cables running at 9,600bps on short runs and 2,400bps.

I still wake up screaming some nights 3 to 25, Pin 1 to 7, Pin 2 to 3, Pin 3 to 2.

On my 2nd day I got the boiler suit and was given a lump hammer and sent out to smash the old Wang computer and disks that the HP had superceded.

The Wang looked like a large iron desk and took hard disk cartridges where the hard disk was a single platter about 16" across. I can't remember how much these stored but I've a feeling it was measured in kilobytes.

You try telling that to the young ones today!

• quote:

I may be showing my age, but anybody ever hear of an old product called Alpha 3 which later became Alpha 4?

In the UK this months PC Plus magazine has Alpha 4.5 on the cover disk!

• quote:

quote:

I may be showing my age, but anybody ever hear of an old product called Alpha 3 which later became Alpha 4?

In the UK this months PC Plus magazine has Alpha 4.5 on the cover disk!

Thanks for the info. I get PC Plus as well as a few others and it is nice to know which I want to pick up.

• They're missing a bet if they don't market an email program called "Alpha Mail".

• quote:

They're missing a bet if they don't market an email program called "Alpha Mail".

I know a girl who used to have a note in her purse.

quote:

If found in person, deliver by mail. If found by male deliver in person

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply