Oracle ODBC connection and 'Force Encryption' on SQL Server

• I've set up an Oracle Gateway server to connect my Oracle databases to my SQL Server databases but have run into a problem with encryption. When I enable 'Force Encryption' on the SQL Server side, the connection fails. Is anyone else using this type of setup? I'll be opening a ticket with Oracle, just hoping for some real world experience.

The Oracle Gateway is using the 'dg4msql' driver, not an ODBC driver (although they might be one in the same, based on spotty research).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • i am running into the exact same issue. trying to connect to the sql server database thru unixODBC from a linux server with force encryption=YES in sqlserver. connection is fine when turn off the encryption flag encryption=no. Did you ever here from oracle or find the solution to this issue?

• Haven't checked the progress in Oracle, but we ditched the Oracle Gateway server.

Oddly enough, we met on a similar topic this morning. Some colleagues are trying to connect to SQL Server from an Apache web server using PHP. The Linux guys are going to install an SSL certificate on both servers and try and connect thru PHP using that certificate. I'll post back if I get an update from them.

Using 'Force Encryption' will only work with applications that are using the 'SQL Server Client' or 'SQL Server Native Client', as far as I've been able to determine.

Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • thanks for the comment. Please keep us updated if there's any solutions/alternatives for this issue. Not sure if anyone had tried this out but I am wondering if upgrading unixODBC drive from 2.2.1 to 2.3 will make any difference. I will also fire a SR for oracle to have a look at this issue and will keep you guys posted

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply