Oracle GoldenGate for SQL 2008 R2 High Availability??

• Has anyone ever heard of Oracle GoldenGate being used for pure SQL Server 2008 R2 high availability? (i.e. No Oracle db's involved.) I'm only talking high availability, NOT disaster recovery.

I can't imagine it would perform better than the native tools from Microsoft, or provide a quicker failover. Is there any reason one would choose to use GoldenGate for HA, as opposed to a failover cluster, or sql 2012 AlwaysOn high availability groups?

Thanks!

• DB.Duck (4/13/2012)

Has anyone ever heard of Oracle GoldenGate being used for pure SQL Server 2008 R2 high availability? (i.e. No Oracle db's involved.) I'm only talking high availability, NOT disaster recovery.

Oracle GoldenGate was designed as a data replication tool for heterogenous environments then adding a bunch of services around it.

I wouldn't use it to provice high-availability on an homogeneous, non-Oracle environment - too much overhead for stuff never will be used not to mention the hard time you will have to explain the environment to Oracle support if something goes wrong.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply