Oracle DMP files

• Does anyone know of a way to read an Oracle DMP file from SQL Server or convert it (using SQL Server) to a format SQL can read?

Thanks

• As far as I know, ORACLE dump files can be read by the ORACLE IMPORT utility only. ORACLE documentation strongly recommends NOT to use any utility other than IMPORT to open/read these files. There are also additional considerations regarding compatibility issues between various IMPORT versions.

If you need to import structure and/or data from ORACLE database, try some structure and/or data migration tool, or use export/import from MS SQL Server through ODBC or OLE DB.

Regards,

Goce Smilevski.

• I agree with the previous reply that you will need to use the Oracle import utility.  Once you have it in Oracle, you can use DTS to connect to the Oracle database and import the tables to SQL Server.

• Thanks to all for your help.  This is what I thought.

• For all its worth you can try renaming the dmp file to .mdf then in SQL Server click on the database folder, right click, New Database. New database will contain the renamed  mdf file. After creating new database, right click the new database, click All Tasks then Restore Database. Choose device, then Add button then map it to the renamed mdf file. Go to odbc, to configure/link the new database you created. (ie User DSN, Give the name, Choose the Server, on the third page, check the Change Default Database then select db to point to the db you created). All these were done in SQL Server 7.0

Hope I was able to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply